Feeding heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
Hey all. I have two heifers who slipped their calves for whatever reason. I've had a few people interested in a half a beef so I figured these two were young enough to feed out. One is a short stocky Gelbvieh/Angus/Hereford and the other is a larger framed hereford so I think they'll finish at different times. They are anywhere from 1000 - 1200 lbs.

I was thinking I'd feed 40% barley 40% oats and 20% peas all rolled along with some rumensin. (I don't know how much.)

I was wondering how heavy I should start the grain and how heavy I should finish at. Thanks in advance.

Start at 2% of their body weight or whatever they will eat less than that. Add more as they clean it up good. Feed till they are finished. 1300-1450 probably. According to the frame. Maybe 1250-1350 if smaller frame

kenny thomas said:
Start at 2% of their body weight or whatever they will eat less than that. Add more as they clean it up good. Feed till they are finished. 1300-1450 probably. According to the frame. Maybe 1250-1350 if smaller frame

Thanks Kenny. Should I do free choice hay or fork it?

Cattle should always have free choice hay if not on pasture. They should feed out just fine and I think you'll be quite pleased with them.