feeding out cows for meat

Help Support CattleToday:

mudhole

Reaction score
i started feeding out 1 bull and 2 steers for meat(around 900lbs each). the first 30 days i slowly introduced the grain, they had 24/7 access to a round bale, in addition the grain had 25% alfalfa added. for the next 30 days my plan was to go straight cracked corn, no alfalfa, but still access to bale. everything was going great, after 3 days of corn i put a new bale that i had just purchased, and they just tore into it. now after 7 days their stools have become a little watery and they are not finishing their corn rations which i had worked up to 2%, maybe 2.5 % of body weight, should i just put out a certain amount of hay/ruffage for them daily?, or do i need to pull back on grain and work back up(which actually they are doing anyway).

They probably have acidosis. They need some fiber. I would give some hay as a buffer.

thanks for the reply, my thoughts have been that maybe it is the opposite?, they had lowered their pH by getting corn for 30 plus days, they have always had free grazing hay, but with the new bale really tore into it and they didnt digest the hay well? is that a possibility?

It's possible, but more likely the straight corn is the issue. Is the corn whole, cracked, chopped or fines? The finer the grind the more likelyhood of acidocis

mudhole":45p6y5ly said:
thanks for the reply, my thoughts have been that maybe it is the opposite?, they had lowered their pH by getting corn for 30 plus days, they have always had free grazing hay, but with the new bale really tore into it and they didnt digest the hay well? is that a possibility?
There is different bacteria for digesting grains as opposed to digesting roughage products. You're cows most likely have acidosis from an excessive amount of grain and most of the roughage (fiber) digesting bacteria have died off due to change of rumen ph. Just because grazing and/or hay is available doesn't mean they will necessarily eat enough of it to maintain rumen ph and function and if they eat it much of it will pass thru undigested. Back off the corn, increase the hay and if you have it available add something like cottonseed hulls to the corn to slow down consumption and put some roughage in their rumen.

it is cracked corn, it sounds like everyone thinks it is the corn, so i will pull back on the corn, it just seems that everything was working well until i put the fresh bale in that they ate up quickly.

once their GI has equalized to the diet, do i then start increasing the corn to finish them off in 60-75 days?

mudhole":3alt61bj said:
it is cracked corn, it sounds like everyone thinks it is the corn, so i will pull back on the corn, it just seems that everything was working well until i put the fresh bale in that they ate up quickly.

once their GI has equalized to the diet, do i then start increasing the corn to finish them off in 60-75 days?

If it were me I'd just feed a good commercial feed instead of straight corn. You can find some good feeds that will be like sweet feeds containing adequate corn along with a protein pellet and hopefully some cottonseed hulls and molasses. Down here that type feed is often referred to as "Bull and Heifer". If you go with straight corn start at a low amount and build up slowly I wouldn't go over about 8 lbs. per head per day.

they went so hard at the new bale because they were trying to increase roughage them selves (selfdefense)the acids were giving as grandpapy would say ,there getten sour stomach! you really need back down on corn and as was said put somthing to go with the corn , a mixed ration is easer on them. you went to straight to hard ! :2cents:

ok, but then i thought you were suppose to go straight grain with hay as roughage, but just slowly at first.

Latest posts