Feeding Hay ???

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been feeding hay since I brought the cows home last Sunday. Mostly because I needed to catch them yesterday for a health check on the heifers I am shipping and then again on Monday to ship. After I ship I will turn out the few that will be left. The fall grass is pretty good so I might be able to hold off feeding for a while. Normal year I have to feed hay from about November 1 to April 1.

Dave":c6i56vex said:
I have been feeding hay since I brought the cows home last Sunday. Mostly because I needed to catch them yesterday for a health check on the heifers I am shipping and then again on Monday to ship. After I ship I will turn out the few that will be left. The fall grass is pretty good so I might be able to hold off feeding for a while. Normal year I have to feed hay from about November 1 to April 1.

I been meaning to ask about your cows that were stranded in our last heavy rains, how did they fair?

Like Dave our fall grass is good this year, we've been have a bunch of days with bright sun, low to mid 60's. Probably 3 or 4 weeks of grass left. Hopefully enough grass until I ship calves.

In 2 weeks we've gone from crunchy dry pastures to green lush grass so hopefully won't be feeding hay til Thanksgiving at the earliest.

Fed a few rolls of wrapped hay yesterday. Not really out of pasture but have better quality hay than pasture right now and should have plenty.Won't be fully feeding for a few more weeks.

Started today. Probably a month later than most of the past 6-7 years.
If we can get some decent weather, will probably be able to go back to grass sooner than usual; maybe around 1 Feb.

That video explained how they build them--not much about it's funtionality.

I really liked this one tho (created by the same guy) --a Roomba for cows. I can just imagine what one of my beefmasters would do if it came rolling up--chunk it clean over the barn is what she'd do.. :lol2: :lol2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDrSGc8ZyJs

Blonde d'Aquitaine":1fjhpbya said:
If you are a professional farmer you should routinely adjust the dry matter values of the forages and rations. The most effective method to do it is using Q-Dry: Precise, simple and automatic. For more information please watch this short video: http://youtu.be/yWKyy8uVkE0
Starting to feel that you are more of a spammer/ad poster then a regular poster since this is the 3rd site I've seen this post.

We had to feed for a few months back in July and August. Finally getting some much needed rain. Hopefully it will be a late freeze.

Sorry, but I am not a spammer. I am only convinced, as breeder and as bovine veterinarian, that the dry matter analysis of the forages is the most useful factor to improve productivity. Also in the beef sector. The big challenge is that it is not easy to accurately test the dry matter what keeps the farmer away of doing it, and also of discussing about its importance...
Nice Sunday to you all.

Add me too the list my wife dropped 4 bales of hay today for me since its 24 and snow flurries.. guess I'll keep tractor plugged up.

Haven't started yet I'm hoping to make it until December on stockpiled grass before the snow gets too deep.

Temps have been in the teen's and 20's for highs and we've had over a foot of snow so far this fall (only been a few inches at a time on the ground though)... But they have been digging through it and finding plenty to eat. Temps climbed a little yesterday and the snow got a little crusty on top and noticed one of my cows has a bunch of scratches on her nose this morning.

I started last Saturday with large sq bales in a ring feeder.
My bunch must have been hungry as i had to drop another Monday, Thursday and Sunday(yesterday).
I bought more hay than years past but i have more lbs in the field than b4.
At this rate ill be buying more in a few months :devil2:

Bill

Blonde d'Aquitaine":2nax9lcw said:
Sorry, but I am not a spammer. I am only convinced, as breeder and as bovine veterinarian, that the dry matter analysis of the forages is the most useful factor to improve productivity. Also in the beef sector. The big challenge is that it is not easy to accurately test the dry matter what keeps the farmer away of doing it, and also of discussing about its importance...
Nice Sunday to you all.
Agree with the need to feed quality forages, but disagree on it being a challenge to accurately test the product. Very good labs are plentiful and obtaining a good respective sample is simple. Everyone should do it if only for curiosity.

We have started feeding full hay as well as supplementing with liquid Pro-Lix!! Temps are cold and we have a lot of calves on the ground right now.

As of Tuesday December 3rd the cows are now full time on hay UP here in da UP. Have about 6" of crusty snow on the bottom that the cows were cutting their noses on trying to graze through and then about 8"+ more snow on top of that with temps supposed to be in the single digits thru the entire extended forecast, so it was time to bring them in close to home where its easier to keep them fed and watered as well as keep an eye on them.

Now just wait for May or June to arrive so we can get them back out on pasture.

Latest posts