feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well since we havent got any good rains in a month or so the pastures are about gone.so its time to feed a little hay.so we are feeding 3 bales a week.was hoping we could go till oct without feeding hay.an get another cutting but with no rain the meadow is slow to grow.

I'm short of hay but have plenty of grass. If only I could send you this rain then we would both be in good shape.

joe ive been praying an wishing for rain for a month.but weve still got time to get the rain an make another cutting.

bigbull338":3079go58 said:
joe ive been praying an wishing for rain for a month.but weve still got time to get the rain an make another cutting.

I hope you get some rain Bigbull. Sucks feedin hay in the summer.

3waycross":14b8muab said:
bigbull338":14b8muab said:

I hope you get some rain Bigbull. Sucks feedin hay in the summer.

I started feeding hay a week ago, we have had 3 tenth's since June.
We average 5 inches a month through the year.

That's crazy CB. I'm just south of you and my cattle can't keep up with the grass. I have been trying to bale a 40 acre patch for 3 weeks but keep getting rain. Just got 1.5 inches last Tuesday and have water in the low spots in pastures.

It is only now starting to get dry in this region of KY. You guys that are feeding hay have a tough situation. I feel bad in sympathy with you. Who ever has the power to regulate the distribution of precipitation could be a little more accommodating!

CCRanch":qhmr4pbz said:
That's crazy CB. I'm just south of you and my cattle can't keep up with the grass. I have been trying to bale a 40 acre patch for 3 weeks but keep getting rain. Just got 1.5 inches last Tuesday and have water in the low spots in pastures.

Cow's I sold last week went down around Kountze.
When I let them out in the guy's pasture they were satanding belly deep in Bahia.
We are never more than a month away from a drought.
Drive up here from Warren north it start's getting bad fast.

I've had hay out for a couple weeks now. Rainfall for the month is .42 and of course only came a few tenths at a time. Luckily, the Pieds still eat more dried grass than hay which is saving me some.

Latest posts