Feeding Cull Vegtables ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here to this board but in reading it the last few weeks have found it to be a wealth of knowlege. So I need to pick the brains of all of you successful cattlemen and women on a feeding subject. A little backround info on me. I do not raise production beef cattle. Instead I raise rodeo-bred bucking cattle. I posted this same topic on a bucking cattle breeders board and got some really good input, and I think that i'll get some even better ideas here.

A few years ago I worked on an outfit with a cowboy, who previously to that job had been in a feedlot. He told me how at times they had fed cull carrots, beets, and I think even onions to their feeder cattle. And after my post on the other board I heard of guys feeding old bread, potatoes, brewers grain, even french fries. Well I'd like to try some alternative feed methods to try to cut back on some of my feed costs. But not at the expense of my cattles' health. So what have some of you fed or tried, what works and what should I avoid. I have only done the traditional hay and grain method, so I am kinda in the dark when it comes to these types of feeds. So open the flood gates, what have you done, your dads done, even your granddads done, I wanna hear it all.

Also I am not sure how to ration any of these feeds. I'm not looking for gain just what I can do to maintain a consistent healthy body condition for my cows. So ration amounts would be greatly appreciated as well, I'm not sure what is too much or not enough with this stuff. Thank you to all who reply

Cull veggies and old bread won't hurt your cattle, but do you have a large enough supply to be able to feed it at a rate for it to really be beneficial andworth the extra effort?

We have fed most of that stuff

Downsides:
Its alot easier to manage wastes if you have a TMR mixer.
Rarely is there a waste that is a good stand alone eat all you want feed.
Storage costs increase
Labor costs increase
Have to factor in more waste
Most have alot of moisture that makes them seem to be a cheaper feed than they really are.
It costs alot to haul moisture so unless you are close it eats into being cost effective hard.
Those with moisture have to be fed quickly or managed intensively

I don't see how most wastes would be cost effective for those with a small herd to bother with.

The easiest waste to manage for cows is green beans- the rest have to be balanced or carefully managed.

Most dairymen around here will feed alot of citrus in the ration during the winter. Its in a TMR (total mixed ration) so they aren't eating it by itself but it's a great energy source and the smell really gets the cattle on feed. A few beef guys will feed it but if you factor in your time, it's just as cheap to throw out some hay unless you can get it delivered in bulk and handle it in bulk.

Also, we shipped steers to Colorado a few years ago that were part of a study where they finished them on carrots. I don't remember all the details but the rate of gain was great, once they got used to eating them the cattle prefered the carrots over other feeds, and the steaks they sent us to try were fantastic. As I recall, the drawback was it was pretty hard to get them to start eating the carrots.

Kingfisher":tytsecwb said:
Why not make this simple and tell us what you have access to? Thanks.

I have a few breweries and some produce packing plants near by. There is also some fast food joints within five miles of me. So what I figured on was feeding a mix of brewers grain, culled produce, and french fries along with an alfalfa/bermuda mix hay. I realize the moisture decieves you to thinking you are feeding more, but at the price of quality hay here right now I thought I could add it to cut down on the amount of hay I feed. Unlike other areas of the country, and to my dismay round bales aren't as prevalent here. The small square bales are the standard, and you pay more $ for the same amount of hay

We've fed cull potatoes and cull carrots. Neither as a stand-alone, but either to stretch pasture or stored hay. I can't remember the amount we were feeding per day, but the cows loved both of them.

Brewers grain will give you a better bang for your buck if you have lower quality forage. (The CP will help with digestibility of lower protein and lower TDN hay.) If you can get it cheap enough feeding the brewers grain every other day instead of every day will help you stretch your hay and allow the cows to recycle some of that extra protein if you aren't dealing with crappy hay.

Cost will probably be the largest factor with either choice, as neither will store for long periods very well.

fargus":1tng2jzm said:
We've fed cull potatoes and cull carrots. Neither as a stand-alone, but either to stretch pasture or stored hay. I can't remember the amount we were feeding per day, but the cows loved both of them.

Brewers grain will give you a better bang for your buck if you have lower quality forage. (The CP will help with digestibility of lower protein and lower TDN hay.) If you can get it cheap enough feeding the brewers grain every other day instead of every day will help you stretch your hay and allow the cows to recycle some of that extra protein if you aren't dealing with crappy hay.

Cost will probably be the largest factor with either choice, as neither will store for long periods very well.

Thank you for your positive reply on this question. I planned on using it just as you are stating, to help stretch my hay. I didn't figure anything as a standalone would work in this situation. Again thanks

Has anyone here considered or tried even, feeding any fruits? Just trying to explore all options.

Keep your answers coming folks this has really been benificial, and I'm sure some others just reading are learning something too.

If you feed french fries, make sure that the restaurant uses only vegetable oil (no animal products).

Also if you feed potatoes or fruit like apples or pears, there is always the possibility of choke. There was a guy here several years ago who had a cow choke on a pear. I don't remember if she lived or not.

I bet that you could end up spending quite a bit in fuel costs running place to place getting the stuff.

ETA: Considering the value of quality bucking stock, I am surprised that you are considering feeding questionable stuff.

chippie":11rldq1g said:
If you feed french fries, make sure that the restaurant uses only vegetable oil (no animal products).

Also if you feed potatoes or fruit like apples or pears, there is always the possibility of choke. There was a guy here several years ago who had a cow choke on a pear. I don't remember if she lived or not.

I bet that you could end up spending quite a bit in fuel costs running place to place getting the stuff.

ETA: Considering the value of quality bucking stock, I am surprised that you are considering feeding questionable stuff.

To answer this

1) I don't know of many places anymore that don't use some kind of vegetable oil for frying, the world has become too health concious, but I'll check to be sure. Thanks.

2) If you make sure that you cut the potatoes into smaller pieces you alleviate the chance of choking, or so I was told by another about this same subject. I don't mind spending a little extra time at this if it can prove to be beneficial.

3) I have to drive for my feed regardless, mine isn't delivered. The places are close and if I plan it correctly by combining it with the other reasons i have to drive somewhere, i.e. buying hay, running errands, going to and from work, it will cut down on my total fuel costs.

4) Yes their value is quite a bit higher, but they are still cattle. Albeit high strung and athletic still though they are at their basic, cattle, and I don't see how feeding non traditional feeds is a questionable practice if cattlemen have been doing it succesfully for longer than you and I have been around. I think your quote at the bottom of your signature says it best. "Normal is only a setting on the dryer".

I'm asking questions about this, only because I haven't done it in the past. However, there are some on here that have, and I am asking for some of their advise on some proper methods on the subject. If you want to disagree with the practice fine, I would love to hear why you disagree It only adds more quality info to the discussion. Is it the nutritional value? Chances of illness due to the feed? Long term side effects even, any of this would be great. If you can't be constructive though, or provide a solution, don't waste your time typing.

Because posts like this do not teach a thing to anyone
and I would still feed grass or hay for them rumen.

I'm sure this board like others was set up to help people learn new things, and to pass on valuable knowlege. Disagreement gives a healthy balance to a discussion it allows readers to see both sides. Make sure your post is constructive though, Pro or Con, we won't learn a thing if it's not. Off my soap box now
Thanks

OK

Let me put it this way. If it were so beneficial and economical, it would be common knowledge and you wouldn't have to ask for advice on a bulletin board.

I don't have my feed delivered either. We have a few Jersey cows that we milk for our own use. I have to drive a 200 mile round trip to a mill once a month to get our dairy feed. It is cheaper for me to drive that distance than buy it locally. I buy our horse and beef feed at the same place. I also buy a ton (dairy, horse & beef combined) at a time. One day a month to buy a quality balanced feed to maintain our stock is worth it to us.

You must have a lot of time on your hands or not many animals to have time to cut everything up.

Rockstar Rodeo Bulls":2bf3oq3g said:
2) If you make sure that you cut the potatoes into smaller pieces you alleviate the chance of choking, or so I was told by another about this same subject. I don't mind spending a little extra time at this if it can prove to be beneficial.

Be aware that all wastes have some kind of issue that you need to address to keep from harming your cattle. Feeding waste safely requires that you educate yourself thoroughly about each and every one SPECIFICALLY.
Examples:
You have to limit the fat using something like fries, bakery or chips--- or you mess up their digestion
Cutting sweet potatoes would create a mold toxin that is VERY dangerous
Acidic wastes eats cattle teeth
All commercially available potatoes,carrots,green beans ect. have rocks in them- cattle break teeth on them(and you are paying for them)
Cannery waste is FULL of metal- unless you have a mixer with a magnet you are risking hardware disease.
Choke is a risk with many wastes

And the idea of going to local places and picking up their "trash"- as in fries. You have to have a permit and you have to "cook" the trash before it can be fed.

Feeding waste can work well, but NOT if you go into it thinking its a cure all.
And I think most that feed waste, undervalue their time and increased risks.
and over value the waste products contributions greatly.

I posted about still feeding hay for their rumen to be helpful. Not to be just dismissed. As you said other people are reading this. Just because you know to do that does not mean that other people do know it. There are a lot of people who do not post who read these posts, so I post stuff for them as well as you.

As far as I know , these things are fed to cattle around here. Especially carrots. When they are in abundance. Also, when there is a drought and feed is scarce. It is used to keep them alive until feed is plentiful again. There is no better substitute than grass, grass is not always available all year around.

People get contracts to remove fruit and veges from supermarkets and fruit and vegetable shops. It depends on the person who gets the contract as to whether they are feeding them to pigs, horses, cattle, worms or whatever.

But know your animal. Cattle have a rumen. Horses have cecum. If you put a human onto grass alone, they would die as they can't covert grass the same as a horse can. So different affects for different animals. For worms you would have to pick out onions, garlic, tomatoes. Just things to be aware of.

Rockstar, sorry if you think someone was rude. Seems to me everyone was trying to help and in some cases asked questions back in order to try and answer your questions better. To make it short and sweet you can feed them all of this "junk" that they will eat. Depending on what it is they can starve to death with a belly full of it so don't depend on it too heavily. There are some veggies that literally require more energy to consume and digest than you get out of them. Keep feeding the good feed. Bucking bulls need energy. Most veggies are NOT energy dense but if you like pitch them a couple of chunks of eggplant or an apple everyday.

I previously mentioned there were dangers with feeding sweet potatoes (they are well documented)- that guy didn't understand or follow the rules and he paid.

Latest posts