Feeding Cows in a Big Way

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is what we were doing a couple days ago.

DSC01571.jpg

DSC01568.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

So we could bring the heavy girls in, and watch them a bit closer.

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

We have 50/140 head in right now. The first of them are due about Feb 26 and the last bull went out for about March 3. So any day now.

That is impressive!

What does 50/140 mean?

It doesn't look like where they eat from is movable...do you have hand pitch everyday?

Michele

man thats the way to feed cattle.put out enough feed to last a good while.with as meny as 140hd.it would be hard to feed every few days.when a cow calves.do you move them out of that pen.

Where did you find this feed grinder.Do they make a smaller version.And what kind of price should i expect

mitch2":2vxuheh4 said:
That is impressive!

What does 50/140 mean?

It doesn't look like where they eat from is movable...do you have hand pitch everyday?

Michele

50/140 is 50 out of 140 head.

Not, the bunk isn't moveable. We do pitch it up every day, once a day. When it gets too far back we will take the tractor and push it up.

ALX.":3rzl5f1i said:
Is that the same grinder rental outfit that was in Canuk Cattleman an issue or 2 ago? It was an interesting read.

Not this one. Don't think I read that article, now I will have to go back and look. My husband runs this one for the guy that owns it. Makes it cheaper to grind feed, we just have to put the fuel in it.

bigbull338":j15jaxab said:
man thats the way to feed cattle.put out enough feed to last a good while.with as meny as 140hd.it would be hard to feed every few days.when a cow calves.do you move them out of that pen.

It works fairly well. With 140 head to feed, it is too time consuming to do them all that way. Can't fork enough feed up. We roll bales out for the main herd. Takes us about an hour to feed the entire herd in the winter.

When a cow calves, we move her to another pen, then when the calf is about a week old, we kick them out on a bigger pasture. They seem to stay a lot healthier that way. Once they get kicked out we go back to rolling bales out for them.

bsr":x721w9mn said:
Where did you find this feed grinder.Do they make a smaller version.And what kind of price should i expect

My husband runs it for the owner. They custom grind for whoever wants it done. They do make smaller versions, you can go with a tub grinder, which just puts the feed in a pile, or you can get a bale processor that is designed to pull behind a tractor and shred the feed into a windrow. Not sure how much the tub grinders are, but you can find a used bale processor for around $5000 - $15000. Not sure what a new one runs at.....

Nice pics and a good way to feed cows. My feeding is similar except my main feed is corn silage fed everyday with the Bobcat. Hope the weather holds for your calving.

Latest posts