Feeding a Show Steer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
Ok I have raised three show steers.
The first was raised on Showmaster and Bermuda Hay. The steer ate a bag a showmaster every two days and two flacks a day. His meat turned out fatty.
The other two were raised on Bermuda and 4way grain. Their meat turned out better than the first.

I was attending a nonlocal fair and noticed the Grand Champion steer and I talked to the owner about the feed for him. And she said she had him on free range 3-way hay and two scoops of showmaster a day.. Now what can three way hay do for a steer, that Bermuda can't? How do you feed? What additives do you use to fatten?

Please explain the term 3 way hay.
Many show steers can be fed a general finishing ration. But you must remember that cattle are much the same as people in that we all digest our food differently. For the best results, a show steer must be closley watched. Many must be fed a bit different and it depends on their genetics. For instance. I have had some that got rolling fat off of 3 scoops of grower ration with free choice hay. Then some that would grow real big and not lay on that good exterior fat without feeding free choice. You need to watch your steers for indicators that will tell you if they are laying on finish, just getting fat or just growing. Sometimes it may require adding more protein or energy to the diet.
Sad to say a good show steer doesn't always make a good eating steer. You may want to raise one to show and one to eat.

I agree with Avalon, each animal is different and has different intake requirements. The people in our area that win all the time, buy good calves but they also know how to feed, they may have 4 steers at the same weight and they all might be fed differently based on the animal and where it is at body condition wise.

3-way hay is usually oat, beardless wheat, and barley, at least in our area.

I have always finished my show steers on a really basic show ration. It consists of 750 lb.s of corn, 100 lbs. of cotton seed hulls, 100lbs. cotton seed mill, 50 lbs. molases, 10 lbs. of purina W&R 12% mineral, and 10lbs. soy bean oil, if they need it. All the soy bean oil does is boost there fat cobtent up a little bit.

It depends, if you are feeding a steer 3% of his body weight he does not need the hay for the nutrients as much as the roughage. If you are feeding less grain you can feed the 3-way hay and the animal will get the added benefit if the grain in the hay.

Each animal is different some will fatten up early others take longer, some require more fat some need more protein to reach their maximum potential. The trick is to stay on top of each situation and make the changes in feed as the animal changes.

Latest posts