Feeders not eating much

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I've got 3 heifers that I bought back in January from a neighbor that didn't breed, I put them on straight chopped corn the day I bought them and have slowly worked them up to 70lbs/day between them. They have been cleaning it all up until this week, now they are probably only eating half that. It has gotten very humid hear this week, I'm thinking that has something to do with it. They go to processor May 1, 12 days from now. Any suggestions to help get them back eating what they should?

Usually at this point in feeding them out, I start seeing them just not very enthusiastic about eating and leaving feed in the bunk, but I've never seen them go down to half the feed that quick. I'm not a big fan of feeding out cattle when it's hot and humid because it definitely effects their gains and feed intake.

Usually at this point in feeding them out, I start seeing them just not very enthusiastic about eating and leaving feed in the bunk, but I've never seen them go down to half the feed that quick. I'm not a big fan of feeding out cattle when it's hot and humid because it definitely effects their gains and feed intake.
Sounds like they're about done.
Weather has definitely slowed cattle down here too.

I'd split the difference between what they have been getting and what they're eating.
Don't change ingredients! That will totally throw them off.
They won't lose much if any.

We had a cool front move in, we are back in the 60s. Yesterday morning after I started this thread, when I went to feed they had cleaned up the bunk as well as last night when I fed. I cut back to 60 lbs/day. Definitely thinking now it was due to it getting hot and humid this past week, there were a few days that the humidity was more like July.

thats a lot of straight corn for them. Maybe mix some sweet feed in it.
I've always been told to never feed anything with molasses to cattle that are being finished because it will cause the meat to have an off taste. I usually finish them on the same ration that I feed when they're growing but have real loose stool at this point due to the protein. These were already 18 months old when I bought them so no need to grow any frame therefore no need for the added protein, corn is cheap and protein is not. Their stool hasn't been loose for the most part and they were cleaning up the corn good until that humidity hit, probably only thing I wish I would've done different is fed whole shell as opposed to chopped to reduce the risk of acidosis. I also forgot to mention that I mix calcium carbonate with the corn as well to help reduce the chance of acidosis.

Could be the feed does not taste the same as what they had been eating. Also 70 lbs a day for three, that ought to put the fat on.

Pretty sure one of the heifers foundered, she sure walks around tender footed, good thing butcher date is only a week away. I had a guy tell me one time that if I fed enough of them, I'd founder one sooner or later.

Latest posts