Butcher calves not eating

Help Support CattleToday:

mwj said:
Cut back on the hay! A finishing diet only needs enough forage for rumin function. A lot of dairy steers are finished on whole corn and a protein pellet with no roughage in the ration.

My experience so far has been, with the option of 25-30 pounds of grain, steers are only able to eat a bit of hay, and will choose the grain over hay given the choice. This steer likes hay better I guess.

I would not pull his free choice hay. As you said, "generally" they will fill up on corn before the hay. At his age, it shouldn't be a protein problem and you say you are feeding SBM. He might just be maxed out. What do you think he weighs? Is he showing fat pockets? Once he reaches his plateau, his body just needs "so much".
I don't feed out steers for show, but I do finish 2-4 head for freezer beef. Generally, finish them at 12 -13 months of age.
I have never been able to get them to eat much over maybe 18#/hd/day. And they hang a 750-825# carcass. I start mine out of WSC from weaning to butcher.
Unless the corn you have is very unpalatable for some reason, I would guess they are just full. You can "limit" his hay, but be careful, that is the quickest way to get his gut bugs off. I am NOT a nutritionist. My husband was. I just know what he taught me and what works for me.
What do you think the protein ration is? (how much SBM?) Maybe protein is too high?? I'm guessing he needs about 12 and he will (should) get some of his protein from hay. Too much or too little protein can throw them off.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I would not pull his free choice hay. As you said, "generally" they will fill up on corn before the hay. At his age, it shouldn't be a protein problem and you say you are feeding SBM. He might just be maxed out. What do you think he weighs? Is he showing fat pockets? Once he reaches his plateau, his body just needs "so much".
I don't feed out steers for show, but I do finish 2-4 head for freezer beef. Generally, finish them at 12 -13 months of age.
I have never been able to get them to eat much over maybe 18#/hd/day. And they hang a 750-825# carcass. I start mine out of WSC from weaning to butcher.
Unless the corn you have is very unpalatable for some reason, I would guess they are just full. You can "limit" his hay, but be careful, that is the quickest way to get his gut bugs off. I am NOT a nutritionist. My husband was. I just know what he taught me and what works for me.
What do you think the protein ration is? (how much SBM?) Maybe protein is too high?? I'm guessing he needs about 12 and he will (should) get some of his protein from hay. Too much or too little protein can throw them off.

Thanks for all ideas. The sbm has been cut off. So just brome hay and whole corn from the coop. So shouldn't be too high of protein.
As far as the level of finish, he has a bit of a fat pocket near tailhead. Under his brisket he has a softball size of fat, rather than the typical cantaloupe size, but he's also got dairy in him. His flank isn't filled out very well. My plan is to run him another month, with whatever feed I can get into him.

Latest posts