Feeder Lids?

Help Support CattleToday:

sewall

Reaction score
I am making some homeade deer feeders and I was wondering if any of you knew of some kind of lid I could use for it instead of having to buy a feeder lid from a sporting goods store for $20 or $30. I'd appreciate any ideas.

Most people here use 30 or 50 gallon drums and just use the lid that comes on the drum. Once the band is cinched water will not get in the feed. Funnels can be made or purchased and installed on the bottom. Water does accumulate on the tops but its no big deal.

Yeah but the 55 gallon drums I'm using don't have lids. They just have the two holes in the top so I have to cut out the top. And I'm getting these barrels for free

I see your problem. I would take a Sawzall and cut the top off on horizontal to the ground using the rim of the barrel as my guide. Probably would bump it with my grinder to start the hole. Once you cut the top off you would have about 1.5 inches of barrel wall between the cut and the rim. On this, I would tack some tin flashing along the edge of this with the welder or even ribbet or jbweld it in place. The lid would then be like a snuff can lid and would fit over the barrel and would keep water and other things out. Just a thought.

I don't know if any would be available in your area or not but here in Iowa usually you can find old worn out hog feeders and the galvanized lids are still good. You could modify one of those lids to the dimensions you need and it would have the cone top to repel rain. Just a way out thought.

Latest posts