feed supliment for preg tested cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I had the vet here this week.Preg tested cows due march. What feed suppliment will be required to insure proper nutrition for cows during pregnancyThank you.

Pasture or decent quality hay, a balanced mineral for your area and water!

Did your vet make any comment about your animals condition, too skinny, too fat?

Thanks for the reply, The vet liked my cows ok, I have plenty of good pasture and I keep a roll of hay in the manger so they can come up from the pasture and eat if they choose. I'll call the vet and buy whatever he recommends. I only have five cows, is it better to buy or rent a bull or I thought I might AI each one to a different bull just to see what we get. Does that sound crazy or what. Give me some advice, Thanks Tom

kerley, sounds like your cows are well cared for. The pasture with the hay supplement sounds good. As, so does your plan for AI.

kerley":13cg6akn said:
I had the vet here this week.Preg tested cows due march. What feed suppliment will be required to insure proper nutrition for cows during pregnancyThank you.

Assuming these are mature cows - none. If the pasture and/or hay is decent, you have a good mineral available 24/7, and water is available you're good to go! If these are first year heifers, then a little grain may be in order - depending on when you chose to breed them, the weather, and their body condition.

If you already know how to AI cattle I personally would probably use AI. Depending on the sires you choose the semen will be much less expensive than upkeep on a bull that will breed only 5 cows.

Latest posts