Feed Pad

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills":2ap2q4bz said:
Bright Raven":2ap2q4bz said:
Ky hills":2ap2q4bz said:
Feed pads are nice, have a that kind of setup behind the barn where we can let cattle in from 3 fields to eat grain, also have a couple fields with them to feed hay on, for the same reasons that Bright Raven stated. About midway through last winter, I realized I was going through hay pretty fast trying to set out enough to last 2-3 days, SkyHighTree suggested I unroll it, and have been doing that ever since. For some of the cattle groups, it puts me to doing it every day, and others about every other day, but it has really saved the hay, and doesn't seem like they are wasting it near as bad. It can get kind of hairy if it's very muddy or snow/ice but I try to stay on the gravel road, at least with one side of the tractor so the hay doesn't get dropped off down it a rutted out track, or in other places without a road on flat part of a ridge, and push the hay roll over the hill.
On a side note that manure and from hay feeding pads makes some fine stuff to spread on hay fields and garden.

In the area where you unroll it - don't the cows make a muddy mess of the ground? Resulting in damaging the pasture or do you have an area you sacrifice for unrolling?

They do make a muddy mess, but I unroll it if possible in a fresh space and then they only trample around that area for a few hours. I am limited in where I can safely unroll so in a sense it is more or less sacrificing an area and in some places it is unrolled over the same area. I have found that years ago when I fed that way, my hay was just stored outside and then there would be the outside part that was not eaten, and then would just be a place for weeds to grow later in the summer. Now my hay is mostly stored inside and they are getting the benefit of the whole roll and not leaving it. I had wondered last year if would damage the ground but by summer it wasn't very noticeable at all, unless it was in a heavily used area.

Thanks. I hate to damage pasture.

ky colonel":klucrx16 said:
how does it save more by rolling out? i would like to see more pics of the feed pad. i need something i end up in a muddy mess. thought about dropping rolls off in pasture at different locations to spread that manure around by the professionals.

For me it was saving hay by limiting it. I was setting out 2-4 rolls at a time depending on the number of cattle, and hoping it would last them for 2 or 3 days, but they would demolish it almost the first day, so then when I just started unrolling 1 per day, they all had room to eat. There still is some waste to it but I don't think it's near as much as before.

Bright Raven":1u6d1ynv said:
Ky hills":1u6d1ynv said:
Bright Raven":1u6d1ynv said:
In the area where you unroll it - don't the cows make a muddy mess of the ground? Resulting in damaging the pasture or do you have an area you sacrifice for unrolling?

They do make a muddy mess, but I unroll it if possible in a fresh space and then they only trample around that area for a few hours. I am limited in where I can safely unroll so in a sense it is more or less sacrificing an area and in some places it is unrolled over the same area. I have found that years ago when I fed that way, my hay was just stored outside and then there would be the outside part that was not eaten, and then would just be a place for weeds to grow later in the summer. Now my hay is mostly stored inside and they are getting the benefit of the whole roll and not leaving it. I had wondered last year if would damage the ground but by summer it wasn't very noticeable at all, unless it was in a heavily used area.

Thanks. I hate to damage pasture.

I agree and I think that the feeding pads are the best way to go in that regard, if you have the equipment and time to keep them maintained. I don't really have the right kind of equipment to keep them cleaned off like they should be and then when it gets dry enough that I can use my loader tractor I'm needing to do other jobs.

Blows my mind, when I see people post that they successfully unroll hay. I can see it working in a dryer climate, but it just doesn't work on my place. Myself, and everybody else hates a nosey question, but I wonder how many head, people are unrolling for.

Bigfoot":19dhvim3 said:
Blows my mind, when I see people post that they successfully unroll hay. I can see it working in a dryer climate, but it just doesn't work on my place. Myself, and everybody else hates a nosey question, but I wonder how many head, people are unrolling for.

It ain't always successful sometimes ends up with a roll at the bottom of the hill, or in a pond :hide: :lol2:
Not answering to be boastful as I'm sure I'm on the smaller scale of folks here, but I'm unrolling daily to a group of 20 cows and 2 bulls, a group of 35, 600lbs heifers, and every other day to 9.

I have over a couple hundred feet of concrete and adding more all the time.

Out west they feed hundreds/ thousands by rolling out, or with bale processors making rows.. But the ground is either dry or frozen.

I'd not only have the cows in mud, I'd likely have the tractor stuck.

Bigfoot":1trtx6ao said:
I'll unroll 4 rolls a day and if it's going to be cold I'll unroll 6 rolls for a 100 head. I can fix ruts cheaper than I can buy hay.

I have a similar feed pad/dry lot. I used the fines from crushed concrete from a local pit that gets the concrete when the highway is being replaced. It has the texture of sand, but sets up firm like concrete. Another option if it's in your area and it has no stones.

Bigfoot":3m8lujb6 said:

I've been unrolling for 18 head at the house and I didn't feel they were cleaning it up as well as in the past. I've went to rings and am giving them 2 bales every 3 days. I'm supplementing at around 5lbs of gluten every other day as well. Last year they slicked up a bale a day and all was well. Different hay supplier and I haven't weighed them but did test which is why I'm supplementing protein.

Bigfoot":2l078sg1 said:
I totally agree. There are times of the year, like now, the ground is totally frozen. But, next week it might not be.
Plus, I don't have any area that I could successfully unroll a bale without it ending up in swamp or a fence. :shock:
I finally put a couple of gravel pads in. We don't have to drive the tractor in with the cattle at all. The round feeders are up against 3 wooden posts so they don't short out on the fence. I drive up to the fence & reach over the fence to feed the bales in the feeders. Cattle can get around about 80% of the bale. Occasionally, I have to "push" the left over bale away from the fence side.
We used to drive into the "sacrificed" winter lots & feed in the round feeders. then you would have to move it because it would get sooooo muddy. The tractor would make as much muddied up areas as the cows. Now, there is virtually NO muddy areas in their winter lots. Contractors around here use limestone dust to top off a gravel area.

Bright Raven":10mvod6v said:
ky colonel":10mvod6v said:
how did you setup your feed pad?

I put down a layer of number 2 limestone gravel (see chart below, #2 is 3 1/2 to 1 1/2). Then choked it over with "mine waste run". That does not appear on the chart. It is the waste from screening gravel. The mine gives it to who ever hauls it off so I only pay a $200 hauling charge for 30 tons. I don't know if you can get mine waste run where you are but it sets up like concrete.

fvlqpu.png
Did you put the fabric under it?

tom4018":2lkmko62 said:
Bright Raven":2lkmko62 said:
ky colonel":2lkmko62 said:
how did you setup your feed pad?

I put down a layer of number 2 limestone gravel (see chart below, #2 is 3 1/2 to 1 1/2). Then choked it over with "mine waste run". That does not appear on the chart. It is the waste from screening gravel. The mine gives it to who ever hauls it off so I only pay a $200 hauling charge for 30 tons. I don't know if you can get mine waste run where you are but it sets up like concrete.

fvlqpu.png
Did you put the fabric under it?

No. I did not. I did around my automatic Ritchie Waterer.

This area is well drained. I think those number 2s form a good base. I put them down in about a 5 inch lift.

Bigfoot":1ftzlabi said:

i unrolled for 120 head and they never damaged any pasture, only improved it.

i'd put down concrete before stone. its not much more then stone, its easy to finish as well. Just rent a powered screed and you're set. even if its not perfect.. its a feedpad, who cares.

ddd75":1lrksls5 said:
Bigfoot":1lrksls5 said:

I definitely believe ya. Right here on my place today,it rained all night, and most of the day. If I was to roll out say a roll and a half for that many head. That'd work out to 10 pounds per cow. Where it was unrolled wouldn't even be recognizable.

Bigfoot":ejems9k5 said:
ddd75":ejems9k5 said:
Bigfoot":ejems9k5 said:

I definitely believe ya. Right here on my place today,it rained all night, and most of the day. If I was to roll out say a roll and a half for that many head. That'd work out to 10 pounds per cow. Where it was unrolled wouldn't even be recognizable.
if you have enough room to have that many cows, you should have enough room to unroll hay for them and not hit the same spot twice.

After I unroll they'll usually eat it into the ground. no more grass. before winter is over that grass will be growing back. I've never not had grass come back from unrolling hay, or hoof damage.

Yes in some fields and areas its hard to do and it depends on the weather. Right now my cows are still out in the field but it rained today and got a little above freezing.. I'm moving them back to my barn pen area tomorrow because its going to get in the 40's most of the week. I believe in ANY temp / weather / condition if you only drive on the spot 1 time with the tractor, it'll be fine. But with gates, etc.. thats hard to do. Thats why I only unroll when its dry or frozen.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":uzzwlcbt said:
There are times of the year, like now, the ground is totally frozen. But, next week it might not be.
Plus, I don't have any area that I could successfully unroll a bale without it ending up in swamp or a fence. :shock:
I finally put a couple of gravel pads in. We don't have to drive the tractor in with the cattle at all. The round feeders are up against 3 wooden posts so they don't short out on the fence. I drive up to the fence & reach over the fence to feed the bales in the feeders. Cattle can get around about 80% of the bale. Occasionally, I have to "push" the left over bale away from the fence side.

One feed pad per bale ring, or a feeding strip?
Tie/chain bale ring to a post?

Latest posts