Feasibility of growing calves

Help Support CattleToday:

sros990

Reaction score
I will be retiring in about 3-4 years and would like to raise 2-3 calves as a hobby, rather than financial gain. I would like to buy the calves when they weigh 400-500 pound, and graze them on my country property in WV from early spring through fall till they weigh about 700-800 pounds. When they reach the desired weight, I will keep one for personal consumption, and sell the others to help pay costs.

I'm not a farmer, and the land (consisting of 15 acres meadow and 35 woods) is probably marginal. The meadow is mowed every year for hay but has never been limed or fertilized, it is not fenced, and I need to develop a water source. (I can provide water from the well that supplies the house if necessary). When I retire, I will live on the property from early spring through late fall, but would like to be able to take a weekend off every month or every other month.

I would like your opinion and suggestions on how doable is the project (taking into account my total lack of experience and the present condition of the land), and how cost effective is the project. Specifically I would like to know:

1. How many acres do I need to fence in for 2-3 cows under a system of rotational grazing?

2. What would be the costs of the project: (a) Fencing (b) liming and fertilizing, (c) buying the cows, (d) veterinary costs, (e) feed if needed other than the grass they eat, (f) pick up of cows to take them to the processing plant, (g) butchering and processing. Can I break even—I don't mind loosing some money in return for the fun and experience but I don't want to loose a lot of money.

3. How would I go about implementing the project? Can I do it in stages? Should I start now or wait till I retire. If I start now what do I do first—Year 1 Lime & fertilize, Year 2 Fence property, Year 3 Develop water, etc.? (Should I start with something easy first like chickens and then try cows?)

Many thanks,

Steve

The amount of land you need to graze 2-3 cows depends alot on what you have. Your county extension agent can help you determine that. Also liming and fertizling helps with that but a soil test telling you what exactly you need to apply can be helpful. Fencing is a definite and I would start now just so you dont have a big lump sum cost in 3-4 years when you buy the cows and all that goes along with it. The cost of the cows and vet bills feed hauling butchering and processing, you need to check those prices in your area. I would start in stages just to slowly get into it financially and also that it might take 2-3 years to get your grass good and clean and ready to hold the cattle well. I know I didn't answer all your questions and the correctness of my answers might not be right on but you have came to the right place. Plenty of good knowledgable people on here to help you out.

I would add to J's post by saying that you will need facilities to manage and work your cattle whether its a few or a bunch to do it safely. ;-) :cboy:

I might also suggest just for completeness sake, that you consider murray grey crosses for their ease of handling and carcass quality.(I say this because several on this board would be disappointed if I didn't.) :D ;-)

Latest posts