Fattening a beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We are planning to fatten a beef soon, have a 3/4 Angus 14 month old steer. I am figuring on bringing him in the barn to fatten in the next few days. How should I start him out, he is on grass and getting about 3 lbs. of feed now. Should I gradually change the feed over to just corn and how much should it be increased to.

Ky hills":37tgojt7 said:
We are planning to fatten a beef soon, have a 3/4 Angus 14 month old steer. I am figuring on bringing him in the barn to fatten in the next few days. How should I start him out, he is on grass and getting about 3 lbs. of feed now. Should I gradually change the feed over to just corn and how much should it be increased to.

I am far from a expert on this but I have only finished on grass and hay WITH corn not corn as a sole feed. I usually started out half a 5 gallon buck and ended with a full 5 gallon bucket. I didn't have any special formula that's just what I did.

I don't know if we are doing it right or the best way. But we gradually change them over to corn. After they are on corn we start giving them more every day until they start leaving some. Then we put them on the self feeder.

Like Sky said I'm also far from an expert but it's how we do it.

Also as you increase the feed until it is ultimately free choice for the steer, you may want to have multiply feeding times. The important thing is to make sure it is gradual, the last thing you want is to find him dead from bloat.

poorfarmer":3dpmrjbl said:
Also as you increase the feed until it is ultimately free choice for the steer, you may want to have multiply feeding times. The important thing is to make sure it is gradual, the last thing you want is to find him dead from bloat.

or acidosis

Latest posts