A little sorting, a little pouring

Help Support CattleToday:

I listened to B discussing with the vet about options to kill lice. They were about to preg check 250 cows. Normally he pours them as they go down the chute. It was raining pretty good. The vet said you could pour them on another day. B said if it don't happen today it won't happen. I think it was decided that between the rain and the Ivomec maybe they would drown the lice.

I listened to B discussing with the vet about options to kill lice. They were about to preg check 250 cows. Normally he pours them as they go down the chute. It was raining pretty good. The vet said you could pour them on another day. B said if it don't happen today it won't happen. I think it was decided that between the rain and the Ivomec maybe they would drown the lice.
We have used Ivomec on wet cattle, it is alcohol based so works as long as it doesn't rain hard enough to wash away before if can be absorbed.
We do everything in fall and again now only we use Ivomec and Boss together the second time. The pair have been actually working. Seems most lice enjoy the Ivomec bath in fall but the internal parasite don't.

Two years ago at preg testing I realized too late that as the bred cows were leaving the corral they were swimming the creek to get to the field rather than taking the crossing. I didn't notice any negative outcomes.

Two years ago at preg testing I realized too late that as the bred cows were leaving the corral they were swimming the creek to get to the field rather than taking the crossing. I didn't notice any negative outcomes.
Yours is basically a closed herd. Do you co-mingle with any others on range?
I am wondering what or if you are seeing a resistance to Ivomec in them. My theory is many don't realize how heavy their cows are or were to frugal to use a proper or a little extra amount per head and that is why we see lice being more prevalent in most herds today.

Yours is basically a closed herd. Do you co-mingle with any others on range?
I am wondering what or if you are seeing a resistance to Ivomec in them. My theory is many don't realize how heavy their cows are or were to frugal to use a proper or a little extra amount per head and that is why we see lice being more prevalent in most herds today.
Our cows do not co-mingle unless there is an escape. Every year seems like a few get picked up at a neighbours at fall gathering. But their herds are basically closed as well.
We don't see lousy cattle here typically. I aim high with the dosage and Ivomec is too cheap to get frugal with. I also keep out scratchers an put a dose of permethrin in them every so often 'just in case'.
I have been meaning to do fecal samples to see about internal parasites but haven't done it yet. It may be that if parasite loads are in the "good" range I would give the herd a break from Ivomec and use a different product for external parasites IF it were the vets recommendation.

Our cows do not co-mingle unless there is an escape. Every year seems like a few get picked up at a neighbours at fall gathering. But their herds are basically closed as well.
We don't see lousy cattle here typically. I aim high with the dosage and Ivomec is too cheap to get frugal with. I also keep out scratchers an put a dose of permethrin in them every so often 'just in case'.
I have been meaning to do fecal samples to see about internal parasites but haven't done it yet. It may be that if parasite loads are in the "good" range I would give the herd a break from Ivomec and use a different product for external parasites IF it were the vets recommendation.
Thanks, with all we buy and sell they are an issue here. Lungworm in our yearling pastures too. We usuall pour our yearling heifers in mid summer and move them to break the cycle but they are still there.

Thanks, with all we buy and sell they are an issue here. Lungworm in our yearling pastures too. We usuall pour our yearling heifers in mid summer and move them to break the cycle but they are still there.
I don't know much about lung worm but it seems to me it will lay in the manure as a spore. If that's the case it seems like it could hang around for a long time.