fatten stock?????

Help Support CattleToday:

DRB

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Louisiana
Maybe you folks can help me..
Is it true that cattle, horses, and even pigs will become butterball fat if you take a small portion of the feed left in the trough the morning after they are fed and rub it between their ears just below the hairline? The feed need'nt be rubbed for very long each day, just enough to slightly stain the hair/hide... :?: Do this for about 6 weeks... I've heard it works.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Try it and let us know. It could really cheapen the gain cost.
Let us know what happens and Dun will try it next. :lol: :lol:
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
DRB":27bynza7 said:
Maybe you folks can help me..
Is it true that cattle, horses, and even pigs will become butterball fat if you take a small portion of the feed left in the trough the morning after they are fed and rub it between their ears just below the hairline? The feed need'nt be rubbed for very long each day, just enough to slightly stain the hair/hide... :?: Do this for about 6 weeks... I've heard it works.

i think they're getting butterball fat because of the feed that wasn't left in the trough, not the feed that was left. but i'm kind of like everyone else, i think you should try it & let us know.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Keep in mind that there are equally as stupid statements that are taken as gospel by some folks. If a cow is facing north when she's bred she'll have a heifer, facing south it will be a bull.
The sad part is that there are people that sincerely believe it.

dun




DRB":hvvw5h5u said:
If there is feed left in the trough they'll get fat...
 

fit2btied

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
993
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Missouri
dun said:
Keep in mind that there are equally as stupid statements that are taken as gospel by some folks. If a cow is facing north when she's bred she'll have a heifer, facing south it will be a bull.
The sad part is that there are people that sincerely believe it.

dun

Another good one says to feed your animals in the evening and 50% of them will calve during the daylight hours. I wonder when the other 50% will calve? Duh!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
They studies show that over 85% will calve during the day if fed late in the day.

dun

fit2btied":2r46lpax said:
dun":2r46lpax said:
Keep in mind that there are equally as stupid statements that are taken as gospel by some folks. If a cow is facing north when she's bred she'll have a heifer, facing south it will be a bull.
The sad part is that there are people that sincerely believe it.

dun

Another good one says to feed your animals in the evening and 50% of them will calve during the daylight hours. I wonder when the other 50% will calve? Duh!
 

nrs farm

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
I think that you have to feed at around 9:00 PM or later though. From what I read, the theory is that they will eat through the night then rest during the day and that is when they would calve. I've tried it and it seems to work but I don't have too many cows to "prove" it with.
 
OP
D

DRB

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Location
Southeast Louisiana
Look guys there were three points to the original message
1. The animal was getting fed every day for six weeks.
2. The animal was getting more feed than he could eat...
3. The animal was getting plenty of attention...
This will fatten stock....

It was called "stupid" , "wives tale". Truth is all of you bit on the fluf and didn't see the logic of the situation...
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
We feed a very small portion of grain, about 1/2 lb per head at 5pm. Haven't had a night calving in three years. The have been genrally around 10am to 2 pm, one at 6am twins, 1 at 6pm. As a matter of fact the one that was born at 6 pm just calved at 2pm. Doesn't prove much, but it sure seems to help.

dun


nrs farm":2om5zfct said:
I think that you have to feed at around 9:00 PM or later though. From what I read, the theory is that they will eat through the night then rest during the day and that is when they would calve. I've tried it and it seems to work but I don't have too many cows to "prove" it with.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
The point you seem to have missed is that we probably all saw that and recognized it. What you don't realize is that there are people dumb enough to actaully believe that the rubbing it in part would help, as in the direction a cow is pointing when she's bred, some bulls are so prepotent they can pass a horned gene and get horned calves from a homozygous polled Angus cows, etc.

dun



DRB":3nu6b04w said:
Look guys there were three points to the original message
1. The animal was getting fed every day for six weeks.
2. The animal was getting more feed than he could eat...
3. The animal was getting plenty of attention...
This will fatten stock....

It was called "stupid" , "wives tale". Truth is all of you bit on the fluf and didn't see the logic of the situation...
 

Latest posts

Top