Fat Butt - Flying B Cut Above

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
FAT BUTT

That should catch your eye. Not many women would find that complimentary but in the cattle world it is everything. Other ways of saying it is, "loaded in the rear." That cow has some depth and fullness, etc. etc. I have a Purebred Simmental whose sire is "Flying B Cut Above." He goes by the nickname, "Fat Butt." Actually, at least one guy on here likes his women a little heavy in the butt and on the trashy side.

Fat Butt throws some thick calves. I live about an hour and a half from Flying B. You will not find any nicer folks than Mr. Frank and Greg Brown.

phillse":3uvhnrvb said:
Fat Butt throws some thick calves. I live about an hour and a half from Flying B. You will not find any nicer folks than Mr. Frank and Greg Brown.
I am looking forward to my first calf from one of his daughters.

I'm not a very big fan of how Cut Above was launched. His calving ease and birthweight EPD's were pretty decent as far as Simmi's go...until after that first calving season. They then went south really quick. He appeared to be heifer safe to breed to 15-16 month olds, and I even called the owner (not the breeder), who confirmed he should be good on heifers. I had 5 cows bred to him, including 2 first calf heifers. The first one had to be pulled while I was hunting in Wyoming, and this was from a cow on her 5th calf. In the end, 3 out of 5 had to be assisted, and on what would have been the 4th to be pulled, I lost due to me not being there. Only one was born without help. Granted, the calves look good, but there are a lot of AI bulls that will throw good thick calves without creating calving concerns. I'm not keeping any of the calves. I know folks who haven't had any issues, and I say GREAT for them....but this is my experience with the bull. If you are considering him, just look at the current EPD's, not the old EPD's....

Gators Rule":3vzfmigj said:
I'm not a very big fan of how Cut Above was launched. His calving ease and birthweight EPD's were pretty decent as far as Simmi's go...until after that first calving season. They then went south really quick. He appeared to be heifer safe to breed to 15-16 month olds, and I even called the owner (not the breeder), who confirmed he should be good on heifers. I had 5 cows bred to him, including 2 first calf heifers. The first one had to be pulled while I was hunting in Wyoming, and this was from a cow on her 5th calf. In the end, 3 out of 5 had to be assisted, and on what would have been the 4th to be pulled, I lost due to me not being there. Only one was born without help. Granted, the calves look good, but there are a lot of AI bulls that will throw good thick calves without creating calving concerns. I'm not keeping any of the calves. I know folks who haven't had any issues, and I say GREAT for them....but this is my experience with the bull. If you are considering him, just look at the current EPD's, not the old EPD's....

I understand your feelings. I have my heifer out of Cut above AIed to Top Hand. Hoping for an easy first calf. I really like this heifer.

Been breeding commercial Simmental-influenced cattle, off and on, since back in the early 1980s.
Not really anything about the bull that ever appealed to me. But, evidently, there are lots of folks who do like him.
Certainly nothing in the epd profile that warrants a second look, for my program.

He is a show bull and when he was a mature bull they collected him and started promoting him with no registered calves. That's what happens when people use low accuracy bulls. Train wrecks happen. Not a fan myself as even with some of our "show" stock I want some performance. All cattle have their place tho I guess. Some just not in my herd.

I happened to get my Cut Above heifer because of some personal circumstances. I do like her and she is a pretty animal. A wonderful disposition. She is a treat for me to see each day. I really haven't figured out yet what specific bulls I like. Seems like they all look pretty good.

inyati13":n4fodize said:
I happened to get my Cut Above heifer because of some personal circumstances. I do like her and she is a pretty animal. A wonderful disposition. She is a treat for me to see each day. I really haven't figured out yet what specific bulls I like. Seems like they all look pretty good.

Ron,
I like him a lot. He was going to be an ABS Global bull but had some issues with health due to over vaccination or something. Now ABS has his full brother. With Simmental breeders there seems to be 2 different worlds with taste of bulls/bloodlines....breeders with Show interest compared to everyday breeders.

HughesFamilyCattle":2ipupv42 said:
inyati13":2ipupv42 said:

Ron,
I like him a lot. He was going to be an ABS Global bull but had some issues with health due to over vaccination or something. Now ABS has his full brother. With Simmental breeders there seems to be 2 different worlds with taste of bulls/bloodlines....breeders with Show interest compared to everyday breeders.

Keith, I very much want to get over there. Maybe, I can get Tenn Tux to come with me. He would enjoy seeing those Hoff Angus.

Yes, I go over every few months to look at those HOFF Angus! It's like going to the Zoo....i help him AI, last year we had trouble just getting a cow out of the chute....he had to get a chute that the side opens out....because they are too big to come out the front!!! And some of them get caught up in their coming out the side...just about as big as the frame of the chute. I say their 1900-2400 and 7 frame. The vet stands on a milk create to preg check. He's got 3 HOFF bulls (he gets out of The Dakota's) and once they reach 2 or so i dont think you could ever get them in chute again. That guy is down right now he just had a rail break in his tobacco barn and it sent 3-4 of his workers to UK hospital.

HughesFamilyCattle":3kp9vien said:
Yes, I go over every few months to look at those HOFF Angus! It's like going to the Zoo....i help him AI, last year we had trouble just getting a cow out of the chute....he had to get a chute that the side opens out....because they are too big to come out the front!!! And some of them get caught up in their coming out the side...just about as big as the frame of the chute. I say their 1900-2400 and 7 frame. The vet stands on a milk create to preg check. He's got 3 HOFF bulls (he gets out of The Dakota's) and once they reach 2 or so i dont think you could ever get them in chute again. That guy is down right now he just had a rail break in his tobacco barn and it sent 3-4 of his workers to UK hospital.

Keith, I have been there done that. I have always been fairly fine boned and light so they always put me in the top of the barn. Seems like the smallest tier poles are always in the top. I fell down once and hit the tongue of the tobacco wagon. I got up and went right back to the top. The guy I was working for could not believe it. It scared him worse than it did me. I think about that often. I think I was in such good shape and being small that it did not hurt me. I hope they get better. Probably migrant workers. Most tobacco is cut and housed by migrant workers. You say he is down. Was he hurt?

inyati13":1p3ustz5 said:
HughesFamilyCattle":1p3ustz5 said:
inyati13":1p3ustz5 said:

Ron,

Keith, I very much want to get over there. Maybe, I can get Tenn Tux to come with me. He would enjoy seeing those Hoff Angus.

I'm in!

As you know Ron, we have a Fat Butt heifer ourselves. I will probably not use him again, because of reasons stated above. There was a lot of hype on him early on, and he does have some outstanding females out there. But he is a "hit and miss" bull. His EPDs tanked and he needs to be used on a cow with a ton of rib shape. We do have 7 straws on him in the tank, so if I ever have a female with a ton of rib I might use him again. But there are a bunch of bulls out there that are better with better numbers, so why not use them?
Just our opinion...
Oh, and we did use Final Cut, his full brother that ABS carries. He was the sire of the twins we had a few weeks ago, and they were pretty big, 65 and 64 pounds. So it runs in the genes.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1dcku1bg said:
As you know Ron, we have a Fat Butt heifer ourselves. I will probably not use him again, because of reasons stated above. There was a lot of hype on him early on, and he does have some outstanding females out there. But he is a "hit and miss" bull. His EPDs tanked and he needs to be used on a cow with a ton of rib shape. We do have 7 straws on him in the tank, so if I ever have a female with a ton of rib I might use him again. But there are a bunch of bulls out there that are better with better numbers, so why not use them?
Just our opinion...
Oh, and we did use Final Cut, his full brother that ABS carries. He was the sire of the twins we had a few weeks ago, and they were pretty big, 65 and 64 pounds. So it runs in the genes.

Kris, you have seen this picture of my Fat Butt. I bought her as a result of a converation I got into with our UK Extension Agent and that pretty white blaze on her face. I have no plans to use Fat Butt. My AI focus has mostly been guided by selecting good bulls for heifers. Case in point, Blaze is bred to Top Hand so she should have an easy time with her first calf.

sxf82f.jpg

Latest posts