Farming for a living?

Help Support CattleToday:

Back 35-40 years ago when I was first out of school everyone kept telling me how a person just couldn't make it. That you had to either be born into it or marry it. Unfortunately I listened to them and never really tried. There were several kids I went to school with who didn't listen to those people. They now have farms or ranches. At the same time there was one kid whose family had a huge place back then. About two or three years ago he sold the last of the cows and is out of business.

Don't listen to those who say it can't be done because it can be. Also don't listen to those who say it will be easy because it wont be. Work hard. Work two or more jobs on the side getting started. Think outside the box. Rent land or move to areas where you can rent land to get started. Every area has an unfair advantage. Figure out what it is in your area and take advantage of it.

Wow more people than i thought the same age as me in the same situation. I am 17 goin to be a senior in highschool looking at going to Iowa State for Agronomy and minoring in animal science not sure yet but for sure going for agronomist because they are in high demand and pay is good. MY dad farms 80 acres so there is not enough for me to take over and do full time. I have been backrounding calves since i was 14. I am looking at maybe takiing over the operation that i work at now since they are in their early 50's and none of their kids are interested at taking over. At least not full time at least. Theri son who is 3 years older than me wouldnt mind being involved during the summer with the cows and calves but his true passion is teaching kids. But I am keeping my options open as nothing is for sure or set in stone and it is not good to get into the mind set that only one way will work for me to farm. It is very hard to get involved in farming if you don't have the land and resources in your family. You might want to look around in your area for a farmer whose kids dont want anythign to do with the farm and he is about to retire but doesnt want the farm to go to some rich person in town or out of the area that pays someone else to farm it for them. Good luck hope it works out for you.

iowafarmer":3ghnlu35 said:
... It is very hard to get involved in farming if you don't have the land and resources in your family. You might want to look around in your area for a farmer whose kids dont want anythign to do with the farm and he is about to retire but doesnt want the farm to go to some rich person in town or out of the area that pays someone else to farm it for them. Good luck hope it works out for you.

Or some old single farmer, who never got married and doesn't have any kids or heirs to take over the old ponderosa.

Ya, in about 10-20 years, if there is still a need and market for farmers, and if I don't decide to cave in to suburban sprawl, and parcil up the land into 5 acre building lots, I will be looking for someone much like some of you young folks to take over what's left of my place. :help:

Here's the formula that has worked for us. Mind you two seperate generations.

Father in Law busted his butt working on the family farm and worked in a chicken plant. Finally scrimped and saved and bought a 1/4 section of land, an old potato farm at the age of 37. Got married and started raising a family. Dairy farmed for 30 years cow cafed for 15 more.

I busted my butt and started buying land. Started raising a family and finally got around to animals by the age of 40. Now I decided to put my kids through college. Looks like I'll be through working for about 4 more years. Meanwhile everythings paid for and I can get by on a cow/calf herd of about 50.

Both of our generations rely heavily on the garden and barnyard. I won't be rich, but I don't want to be.

Personally, I think it still can be done like my Father in Law did it. Save save save. Get enough for a farm and buy it. Then start thinking about the next 30 or 40 years of your life. I bought land gradually finally got to enough where I could support my target herd of 50. The disadvantage to that is my pastures and house are in 4 different areas of the county. Different from how he did it, but I needed to spread out costs (fencing, animals etc....) gradually.

Good Luck,

Brad
IMO The key is limited debt while your doing it, and no debt once you do it full time.

Latest posts