Farmall A series?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've just about got to get a new tractor this year. The farmall 65A is in my price range, the problem is, they look a little light made. Is anybody getting good service out of theirs?

Bigfoot a neighbor has one and its only used for a garden tractor and bushhogging tractor and when I saw it it did look light made like they held back on alot of steel

seriously? wow... I don't see it at all... I told him if his tires werent loaded he would have problems because i thought it looked light. but the workstation did look spacious though

The platform, was what I really liked. Everything else on it, honestly looked like a toy. All the new ones might be the same way. I looked at a Massey yesterday, or day before. It looked good. The guy emailed me a price today, at it was SEVERAL thousand more than the farmall. Made me think the A series farmall might be some kind of light duty deal. I haven't looked at new tractors in years. Mine literally needs one of everything, and its not 4wd.

Yea, I havent bought a new tractor in about 8 years or so maybe more cant remember I normally buy all my stuff at farm auctions and estate sales. Yea normally the price is pretty consistant with the same = tractor. That does make me a lil leary of the price difference. So are you looking for a 4wd tractor?

I've never owned a brand new tractor. My newest is an 83 model. It's not 4wd. We've had some winters along the way that it really wouldn't do what I needed it to do. It's about shot. Leaks oil like sain, smokes like a pool hall that sort of thing. I figure a new tractor bought now will take me through to the nursing home or funeral home, which ever comes first. I've always been one that disagreed with buying something just for the depreciation. I have looked at the asking price of tractors with 2000 hours on the Internet, and the new ones aren't that much more.

Bigfoot you are exactly right used and new prices arent so spaced out and then the 0% interest rates are pretty appealing too. I use my 1967 JD 4020 more than any tractor I have I love it. Do you want one with a cab or not ?

Bigfoot":yqw39j1n said:
I've never owned a brand new tractor. My newest is an 83 model. It's not 4wd. We've had some winters along the way that it really wouldn't do what I needed it to do. It's about shot. Leaks oil like sain, smokes like a pool hall that sort of thing. I figure a new tractor bought now will take me through to the nursing home or funeral home, which ever comes first. I've always been one that disagreed with buying something just for the depreciation. I have looked at the asking price of tractors with 2000 hours on the Internet, and the new ones aren't that much more.

I always had used until about 4 years ago. Like you tired of fighting mud, got stuck too many times that year feeding hay. Looked at used and ended up buying a new Kubota M7040, so far been really happy with it. When I bought mine used ones were almost as high as new, the tax savings made up for a big part of the price difference. Not saying it is the best way to go but it helped, didn't know how it affected taxes until we filed the next year and saw the savings and felt better about buying the new one. The 179 bonus depreciation saved the extra money not sure if it still going on for this year.

I'm skipping the cab. It would be nice, it's just a lot of $ for a tight wad like me. I'm doing something wrong in my farming operation. I'm not making anything to have to worry about taxes.

BIgfoot I don't know about up in Kentucky but down here our dealers lease tractors to the peanut barns and cotton gins to pull wagons. They usually have a 300 to 350 hours on them and around 4000 knocked off. Just something to think about.

They do that here with tobacco. They turn them in the fall. I wasn't sick of mud in the fall. It came on me about mid February.

Bigfoot if you can spare the extra money and you say this is the tractor you want to have till you leave this world then you may as well go out in comfort and get everything you want we only live once.

They make a c series to. I didn't know they did. The c series is not necessarily heavier made, but it has shuttle shift adjustable three point hitch etc. I've ever had those things, soi guess I wouldn't miss them. I wish somebody here owned one of the a series to tell me about it.

Bigfoot":wcivnex5 said:
They make a c series to. I didn't know they did. The c series is not necessarily heavier made, but it has shuttle shift adjustable three point hitch etc. I've ever had those things, soi guess I wouldn't miss them. I wish somebody here owned one of the a series to tell me about it.

You will love the shuttle shift and the the adjustable 3pt hitch. If they are in you budget they are well worth it.

circlew":1qcn2ztd said:
Bigfoot":1qcn2ztd said:

You will love the shuttle shift and the the adjustable 3pt hitch. If they are in you budget they are well worth it.

I love my shuttle shift, never regretted it at all. Wish I would have done 4wd years ago.

Have you looked at any other brands? I see they are offering 72 months at 0% which will help.

I think John Deere makes an economy model, or at least that's what I would call it. I'm not sure what the series of it is. They may have a black engine and running gear under them I've seen the 0% signs, but didn't check into them. I just figured that you would be forfetting some rebate to get it. I have never really paid any attention to tractors. I had one, so that was all I needed. No point in looking. Now that I'm serious about getting one, it's all kinda overwhelming.

I'm somewhat considering a new tractor. Don't know much about any of the new ones, especially emissions stuff on them.

Local dealer who carries red, blue, and orange is having open house next week. I might just go buy a couple filters, kick tires, and enjoy the free lunch! ;-)

The Kubota M1xxX and new M1xxGX series intrigue me. 4 models 86 -115 PTO HP from 4 cyl T/A common rail injected diesels. IMO, the small one would be borderline on my round baler. The larger models should handle the job. Although it's an old clunker, I'm spoiled with my 160 HP MF. :oops:

In the pictures, the GX tractors have a fantastic roomy cab :D Also 8 more gears 8) and Tier IV emmissions with DPF :frowns: I might be mistaken but I understand the regular X series is Tier III with less garbage on it.

If this link comes through, it's a little spec comparison of the 2 largest Kubotas they make. I admit the $0 down/0% interest for 5 yrs financing is tempting. Might help out on the taxes too.

http://www.jennerequipment.com/new_vehi ... 2612&go=Go

Bigfoot":2pfbk5ns said:
I think John Deere makes an economy model, or at least that's what I would call it. I'm not sure what the series of it is. They may have a black engine and running gear under them I've seen the 0% signs, but didn't check into them. I just figured that you would be forfetting some rebate to get it. I have never really paid any attention to tractors. I had one, so that was all I needed. No point in looking. Now that I'm serious about getting one, it's all kinda overwhelming.

Bigfoot, the only rebates kubota has right now is a thousand dollar cash rebate. Other than that its just what ever deal they make with you. On the 0% for 72 months that comes with a down payment.

I have the new holland workmaster 75. Same tractor as your looking at just tuned up a bit (farmall 75a). It has been a good tractor. I have had mine 2 years now and have over 1700 hours on it. Are you getting the one with fwa? That is a must since the tractor is a bit light but with the fwa can really pull. Fairly good on fuel. The only thing got through the bolts when u get it and make sure they are all tight and check again after your 50 hour oil change. Generall a very good tractor. A shuttle shift would be nice, but I do more loader work than most and you can get by with out a shuttle.

Latest posts