Farm vs Ranch?

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I had a old B!&ch tell me that calling my place a ranch was dumb because ranches are only out west. What do you think? I looked the meaning up and it seems that a ranch only raises animals while a farm raises crops as well as animals. I only raise cattle. I did tell her that I did not really give a sh!$ what she thought but my wife said that was a bad thing to say since she was my boss!

P.S. ( I have a new boss now! )

I always thought that if you owned it you could call it anything you wanted to. Don't see how it's anybody else's business. I only raise animals and I refer to my place as a farm, because, to me, that just seems to fit better. Call it what ever sound good to you.

I say call it what every you D!#n well please because it is your place. Does baling hay count as a crop? I need to know what to call our place..... :lol:

NewCowboy":36ogv92x said:
I say call it what every you D!#n well please because it is your place. Does baling hay count as a crop? I need to know what to call our place..... :lol:
Hay is a crop, so is calves so you could be a farmer or rancher.but a row crop farmer aint a rancher. i think the term rancher is also a regional thing to. i prefer rancher cause i sure aint much of a farmer :cboy:

I call mine "Groves Corporation." I raise Brangus, hay, and citrus. My business cards mention all three. Also have a big sign on entry to property saying "BEEF! IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER!" So, I do it MY way, suggest you do the same and tell the old bids to kiss off!

It may be a regional thing, I dont know, but to me a farm is plantin stuff in rows. Although hay is a crop, I dont think of it as farming. Have a rancher friend tho that has a saying, "you hafta be a grass farmer before you can be a rancher" lol
But I agree, Call it what you want, it's YOURS!!! :lol:

Regional thing...dad's family farm was called that as were all the other places around....the Arizona side of the family all were on ranches....
We call our place a farm...just fits our life style...
Cow manure by any other name stills smells sweet wafting on the early morning air...Dave Mc

IMO - it's a farm if you raise row crops to sell, even if you raise livestock too. It's a ranch if you raise livestock. A ranch can raise row crops if it is only used to feed that livestock. Hay can be either/or depending on what you do with it. I think of this place as a ranch as we are only into livestock. Everyone in my area calls themselves farms but I can't think of any that also don't sell row crops. Have tried to find concrete definitions of both and have failed as well. Just go with what feels right to you.

Farmhand":4wh4uqtj said:
IMO - it's a farm if you raise row crops to sell, even if you raise livestock too. It's a ranch if you raise livestock. A ranch can raise row crops if it is only used to feed that livestock. Hay can be either/or depending on what you do with it. I think of this place as a ranch as we are only into livestock. Everyone in my area calls themselves farms but I can't think of any that also don't sell row crops. Have tried to find concrete definitions of both and have failed as well. Just go with what feels right to you.

Haven't heard of a "dairy ranch" and depending on the part of the country (world) many of them don;t raise row crops, some not even hay or their own forage.

dun

dun":2f4f1non said:
Farmhand":2f4f1non said:

Haven't heard of a "dairy ranch" and depending on the part of the country (world) many of them don;t raise row crops, some not even hay or their own forage.

dun
Haven't heard much use of "dairy farm" either. Only a couple of oldtimers with just a few head. The big ones call themselves "dairy operations". At least around here.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Ranch

Ranching is the raising of cattle or sheep on rangeland, although one might also speak of ranching with regard to less common livestock such as elk, bison or emu. The word applies in the Western United States, in Canada and in Latin America. (Australian usage would refer to ranches as "stations"; New Zealanders use the term "runs".)

Historically, during a period on the Frontier in North America after the removal of the buffalo and the Native Americans and before the coming of the homesteaders, ranching dominated economic activity. The public lands on the Great Plains consisted of "open range" and anyone could turn cattle loose on them. Barbed wire, invented in 1869, gradually made inroads in fencing off privately-owned land, especially for homesteads, and ranching became limited to lands of little use for arable farming.

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Farm

A farm is the basic unit in agriculture. It is a section of land devoted to the production and management of food, either produce or livestock. It may be an enterprise owned and operated by a single individual, family, or community, or it may be owned by a corporation or company.

The word has its roots in the Anglo-Saxon word feorm, which relates to provisioning and foot supply, and was originally indicative of a form of taxation, whereby goods or monetary equivalents were liable to the king. Over time, this taxation was translated into a form of rental tax.

The development of farming and farms was an important component in establishing towns. Once a people move from hunting and collecting and from simple horticulture to active farming, social arrangements of roads, distribution, collection, and marketing can evolve. With the exception of plantations and colonial farms, farm sizes tend to be small in newly settled lands and to extend as transportation and markets become sophisticated. Farming rights have been central to a number of revolutions, wars of liberation, and post-colonial economics.

Enterprises where livestock are raised on rangeland are called ranches. Where livestock are raised in confinement on feed produced elsewhere, the term feedlot is usually used. A truck farm is a farm that raises vegetables, but little or no grain. Truck is an archaic word for vegetables. Orchard is used for enterprises producing tree fruits or nuts, and vineyard is used for enterprises producing raisins, wine or table grapes. The stable is used for operations principally involved in the production of horses.

these are the definitions I found and the website where I found them.

It shouldn't really matter to the "b#*ch" what you call YOUR place! Kills me how people wont mind their own business.

I never really thought about this but being as Im from the deep south and DANG proud of it! I think Ill just call my place a PLANTATION. I met the definition according to webster.