Farm truck opinions please.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ozark cowman

Reaction score
Here's the story, right now I have 200 acres at home and another 40 about a mile away that I rent, i feed all my hay with my tractor now. I'm buying 320 acres about 30 minutes away, by next feeding season I'll be feeding over there, then a couple years down the road I will probably move over there and give my son this house, but then I'll still have cattle here and be coming back over here to feed.

So I'm going to buy a older truck to feed with, I will either use it with a flatbed and a spike, or find one with a arm bed, or possibly even find a truck and a bed and put them together. I'm not going to buy new, I don't want this truck to be my daily driver and I don't want to buy a $50,000 truck to feed with anyway, I like working on stuff and would just as soon buy a old one and fix it up.

Probably going to look for a mid to late 80s to early 90s, 4x4, Manuel transmission, maybe 3/4 but most likely 1 ton, gas or diesel, I know gas is fine, but I'm a diesel nut and enjoy messing with them. Here's my biggest question, what brand do ya'll think would be the toughest and was the best truck of that era?. Back in those days I had a new 1984 ford diesel, 1988 Chevy gas, and a 1991 ford diesel, back then I thought they were all good trucks, but they were new and I didn't have them more than a few years and never put over 125k miles on one. Since the late 90s I've exclusively drove dodge trucks with cummins engines, I don't see that ever changing for my main truck. But I'm 100% open minded to anything to build in to a feed rig, thanks!

FORD. They were good trucks in the in the 80's and 90's. I have a 92 F250 4x4 diesel, I bought it new 435,000 miles ago.

I love diesel trucks but for a feed truck they are to heavy in our mud. You have rocks so you might be better.
I also love ford trucks but they won't hold up for me. The Chevy duramax runs and runs for me. Nothing here is treated nice either.
Nothing mid eighties holds up like the mid 90's on even to like 2003 or so. After that we have had good luck to but that's prol getting to new for what you want.
A gas Chevy 3/4 single rear wheel (because of mud here) is going to be my best feed truck. I want a cake feeder and a bale bed on it.
Here's a please to start looking.
http://www.ranchworldads.com/index.php?cat_id=17

ram":1uimn2pf said:
FORD. They were good trucks in the in the 80's and 90's. I have a 92 F250 4x4 diesel, I bought it new 435,000 miles ago.
Thanks! I actually know that the 1991 I had is still running and on the road with over half a million miles. I might look for a old 7.3 non turbo like that. And I just noticed I posted this in the wrong area, I meant for it to be in the truck and machinery section.

denvermartinfarms":3m58faqx said:
Now You know you should have bought that red 94 ford with the deweze I sold :D. Who new a year ago?
Yep, would have been perfect, just what I hope to find now. It went to Arkansas didn't it? Maybe I should go track it down? :lol2:.

For the year range you stated, I would look at the 86ish non turbo Ford one ton. Tough old trucks, or at least the one an employer of mine during that time frame had was. I owned a 3/4 '85 two wheel drive with the 351 in it that wasn't worth spit, motor-wise. Grandpa had a gasser 86 4x4 Chevy half ton that was a good truck.

If I was you, and didn't already have one, I'd be looking for a 94-98 (early) 12 valve Dodge.

I wouldn't argue with that either, and I owned one with no problems other than a head gasket leak. I am just more familiar with the P7100 pump. 89 to 98 will work fine. I am not seeing as many of those first gens around any more. (and some of the second gens I see may about all be 24's too, idk)

M-5":2sbb1v0f said:
Gen 1 Dodge diesel 89 to 93 best work truck ever made ,
Thats good to hear, I never had one of those years, since then I've always thought I would like to have a 1st gen dodge cummins to play with, I just didn't know how solid the dodge trucks were back then. if I can find one I think that would be a fun one to have.

Don't know what they sell for when the sealed bids come in, but I always thought a surplus REA or telephone company chassis cab pickup would be a good candidate for a bale bed. Surplus utility pickups are usually late model, higher mileage, but well maintained units :idea:

I would look for a 7.3 ford. I have one we got new in 99 been worked hard still doing great. I have a 06 dmax with a lot more power. The big difference is the truck body. The ford is just a heavier built outfit. For your deal a first gen dodge would be great but in 4x4 with cummins not totally ragged out is like finding hen teeth. I would prolly just look for a turbo 7.3

Hard to beat a cummins. 7.3 comes close. Chevrolet 6.0 gas or 350 both have stood the test of time also. Probably has more to do with how well it's been maintained than what's under the hood.

Ozark cowman":3i6k7fta said:
M-5":3i6k7fta said:
Gen 1 Dodge diesel 89 to 93 best work truck ever made ,
Thats good to hear, I never had one of those years,
Count your blessings--I wouldn't put one up a dog's butt if he needed wheels to roll his tail around.

Latest posts