Farm Subsidies

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":3loel986 said:
Still biting my tongue - and paying an awful lot of taxes.

Hurts like the devil, doesn't it, BHB? I still haven't totally mastered the art of it... ;-) And, I expect I'll be tested on it before long... 8)

Alice

Aw He11 Alice we gotta do it to you every so often just to keep you heart going. :p :p :p :p

Angus Guy":352ylyle said:
Aw He11 Alice we gotta do it to you every so often just to keep you heart going. :p :p :p :p

And a big back atcha! :p :p :p :p

Alice

tncattle":2391jat3 said:
O.K. I just joined the board when I found it and I don't care if you believe me or not but I didn't know what FSA stood for until this morning. I'm not looking for a handout just learning about everything and anything that I hear about. If it bothers someone that much that I'm trying to learn about something I know nothing about, then stay out of the conversation.

Not everyone is an expert like a lot on here are. I'm a true rookie and I'm not yanking anyone's chain!

You have to begin somewhere, when we started out we got cost share for liming, planting etc.. thru the ASCS office, I think now we may have been niave'. I think in some cases it can help with the cost, but by the time you follow all their rules, pure live seed, a certain ENM ratio for lime, etc...I truly think a person would have been able to do it cheaper with the same results. To be eligible for drought plans, etc.. though you have to be signed up with them, and jump thru the loops, to get that "free money", that is if whoever decides that your county should get it, and even if they say you are going to get a program, doesn't mean its guaranteed. Alot of paperwork for sure, and right now I can say I am fed up with our local FSA people. They really do not have a clue on what a dairy person/beef farmer goes through in times that we have had the past 2 years.

I'd say still get hooked up with them, but pick and choose the programs you get involved with.

GMN

Caustic, I agree, but more than that. It's job security for the people working in the program office.. The big surprise is who gets the money. The little man doesn't stand much of a chance.

I will have to disagree with you on that, I know first hand of a lady with two acres and some goats and they paid 80% of the cross fencing costs to split it into four 1/2 acre fields and now they're paying 78% to put in water bowls for her pasture "subdivisions". It has no bearing on how big you are, it is where your name falls on the list, when the person signs up for the EQIP program. I will keep my opinions brief but, you do get a 1099 for any money accepted from the programs, therefore you are paying tax on taxes that you already paid. funny how that works?!

Alright, no offense TN but your making me a little wary about how little knowledge you have about the cattle business. To be honest, you seem like someone who might know more than your letting on and just having fun. I could be wrong, I'm new to this board, but not new to cattle, and I'm now sure I've ever experienced such "innocent" questions by a beginner. Remember, I don't mean to offend. But if this is really how green you are, I would seriously consider another hobby, I know that sounds rough but there is a lot to it, we're not just "dumb farmers", it aint easy. And if you are really that green and just that in love with cattle, then good luck to you, you've already got half what it takes.

Nothing wrong with not knowing something. While I think you should know what the FSA is I can see how someone new to the industry might not. Go introduce yourself to your county extension agent right away and listen to everything he has to say about what you want to do in your area. Then go talk to the area FSA agent and do the same. They will be able to save you from making the same mistakes others have already made in your area.

smallrancher":2khrtse7 said:
Alright, no offense TN but your making me a little wary about how little knowledge you have about the cattle business. To be honest, you seem like someone who might know more than your letting on and just having fun. I could be wrong, I'm new to this board, but not new to cattle, and I'm now sure I've ever experienced such "innocent" questions by a beginner. Remember, I don't mean to offend. But if this is really how green you are, I would seriously consider another hobby, I know that sounds rough but there is a lot to it, we're not just "dumb farmers", it aint easy. And if you are really that green and just that in love with cattle, then good luck to you, you've already got half what it takes.

Good grief, I'm NOT pullin anyone's chain. I'm sure that I know some things you don't know about other topics but I don't think your that dumb for not knowing it. Like I said if you think I'm lying then just stay out of the conversation. Remember there are about 300 million people just in this country and how many of them you think know anything about farm subsidies or the FSA? Not many at all I guarntee you!

3MR":1mv5z41w said:
Nothing wrong with not knowing something. While I think you should know what the FSA is I can see how someone new to the industry might not. Go introduce yourself to your county extension agent right away and listen to everything he has to say about what you want to do in your area. Then go talk to the area FSA agent and do the same. They will be able to save you from making the same mistakes others have already made in your area.

Excellent recommndation! If you don;t talk to these folks you have no idea what is available or how one would qualify. I have a somewhat better working relationship with our local NRCS & FSA folks, but we all get a newsletter each month outlining what kinds of programs are available. I'm far from being a "big guy". But they need to know you're interested or you don;t get the newsletter. I'm surprised at times at how much they know about individual farms. They may have in the past worked with a previous owner. If you don;t like what they have, you don;t have to participate.

dun

By all means pick the brains of the pros at the extension office and NCRS & FSA offices. Just don't bet the farm that you'll get the money you request - who gets the money is decided by the local folks and some of them are very "politically" motivated. Rarely does the little guy get much of break from them. Take a gander at this website:

http://www.ewg.org/farm/

Last but not least, unless your getting money from your momma or grandmomma, there are always strings attached.

If you don;t like the way your local NRCS doles out the money, run for election as a board member. Whining from the sidelines never has as much affect as discussing it does within.

dun

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:52 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don;t like the way your local NRCS doles out the money, run for election as a board member. Whining from the sidelines never has as much affect as discussing it does within.

dun

Outs doesn't have a board anymore. They did away with it because of "favoritism" ???? :lol: :lol: