Farm Subsidies

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Just really have started finding out about farm subsidies. How do they work and who gets them?

tncattle":1bxcln0x said:
Just really have started finding out about farm subsidies. How do they work and who gets them?

Talk to your local FSA folks.

dun

I don't take a dam_ed dime from the feds. They're always looking for a way to get you under their control.

If you really feel like you need to do this then see your local FSA people. And then if you can understand what they want from you then get after it.

I'm just learning what they are, I haven't started anything yet I'm just trying my best to learn about the cattle business.

Tncattle, I'm new too but last I knew there are no subsidy programs for livestock producers. If you also grow row crops that is where the subsidies are. There are cost share programs to help with building infrastructure, fencing etc. Like others have said check with your fsa or county extension office.

I haven't really checked into anything a whole lot yet because we are strictly livestock at the moment and don't own the land we use. But in the near future I may check into cost share programs. There are alot of factors that will determine which direction we take our operation.

Good luck to you.

tncattle":23i6tsxn said:
I'm just learning what they are, I haven't started anything yet I'm just trying my best to learn about the cattle business.

It's Welfare plan and simple you are taking tax dollars to support you.

tncattle":w6szi4w1 said:
I don't even know what FSA stands for. Is it Federal Subsidy Associaton?

Farm Service Agency, it's under the USDA

I'm pretty new, too, but here goes:

Saw your other post asking about grants. Not sure what your intent is or if you are just seriously short of start up costs, but if getting free money from the gov't is your goal, there are much better ways than cattle. :lol:

About the only benefits you can get from cattle raising is working outside, some free beef, and maybe a tax break on your land. Check with your extension agent about applying for the tax break in your state/county.

Oh yeah, and if you're really good or really lucky, (or both?), you can make a living like a few of the gurus on this site.

tncattle":2k7nk888 said:

tncattle,
If you have been visiting this board, as most folks do, before registering, you know this is a topic that generates emotional responses from both the pro and con side of the issue. Nothing heretofore stated has changed any minds on the subject. If your decision to get in the cattle business hinges on government subsidies you'd best expend your energies toward some other venture. On the other hand, if you just enjoy a good brawl you've chosen the right topic. JMHO

tncattle":ekpgskgx said:

Farm subsidies are for farmers. If you're farming, generally the land would have to be enrolled in some program to qualify. I don't know of any direct cattle subsidies available. There are occasionally payments for producers who had to sell cattle because of drought or other natural disasters. Dun's right. Check with your FSA.

Caustic Burno":4sa4m1pq said:
tncattle":4sa4m1pq said:

It's Welfare plan and simple you are taking tax dollars to support you.

Caustic, I agree, but more than that. It's job security for the people working in the program office.. The big surprise is who gets the money. The little man doesn't stand much of a chance.

Frankie":13sw87fw said:
tncattle":13sw87fw said:

Farm subsidies are for farmers. If you're farming, generally the land would have to be enrolled in some program to qualify. I don't know of any direct cattle subsidies available. There are occasionally payments for producers who had to sell cattle because of drought or other natural disasters. Dun's right. Check with your FSA.
your local FSA has alot of programs.from the crp for the farmers.an the wheat sub.so farmers will quit growing wheat.as well as low int loans for beginning farmers.who cant borrow the money from the banks.to make it easy you have to have written proof from 2 or 3 banks that have turned you down for a loan.the loan app is long.will take time time to fill out an apply.i was in there in jan an the int rate was 5.125%.the int rate changes every month though.so i dont know what the int rate is for feb.my loacal banks int rate is 12%.unless it has gone up.

O.K. I just joined the board when I found it and I don't care if you believe me or not but I didn't know what FSA stood for until this morning. I'm not looking for a handout just learning about everything and anything that I hear about. If it bothers someone that much that I'm trying to learn about something I know nothing about, then stay out of the conversation.

Not everyone is an expert like a lot on here are. I'm a true rookie and I'm not yanking anyone's chain!

tncattle":nwucgkrq said:
O.K. I just joined the board when I found it and I don't care if you believe me or not but I didn't know what FSA stood for until this morning. I'm not looking for a handout just learning about everything and anything that I hear about. If it bothers someone that much that I'm trying to learn about something I know nothing about, then stay out of the conversation.

Not everyone is an expert like a lot on here are. I'm a true rookie and I'm not yanking anyone's chain!
its ok relax an enjoy the board.some of the peoples feathers get ruffled on here when you mention FSA.an ask what it is an what they do.an if they have any programs that will help them learn and or do things.so ask any questions you want.an pay no mind to those that are going to gripp.

I never took a dime. Had em out to visit and the next thing you know they have you by the neck and are dictating what you can and can't do.

tncattle":1axxcgfk said:

I never thought you were...but as you see, there are those that live to yank chains. Ignore them (impossible to do sometimes, I know, believe me), and take the responsible and well meant information and go from there.

There are probably websites that can answer your questions. And, if you find a program that you think could benefit you, check into it. It's your tax dollars just like everyone elses.

I'll add this...remember, when you accept something from Big Brother, there's lots of strings attached.

Alice

Latest posts