Farm ownership

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From Dairy Alert:

Most farms in the United States—98 percent in 2003—are family farms. They are organized as proprietorships, partnerships, or family corporations. Even the largest farms tend to be family farms. Very large family farms account for a small share of farms but a large—and growing—share of farm sales. Small family farms account for most farms but produce a modest share of farm output. Median income for farm households is 10 percent greater than the median for all U.S. households. Small-farm households also receive substantial off-farm income.

10 Jobs That Won't Exist by 2012
By Kate Lorenz, CareerBuilder.com Editor
While there are indications that the economy is swelling and many industries are projected to grow in the coming years, there are also signs that some occupations are becoming obsolete. The majority of the decreases are in office and administrative support and production occupations, which are affected by the implementation of office technology that reduces the needs for these workers, changes in business practices, and escalating plant and factory automation. A majority of the job openings occurring in these occupations will arise not from job growth, but from the need to replace those transferring to other industries, retire or leave for other reasons

Here are some of the jobs expected to severely decline between now and 2012 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Farmers and Ranchers
This dwindling occupation will see the largest decrease or all sectors, losing 250,000 jobs by 2012. The complexity of modern farming and keen competition among farmers leaves little room for the marginally successful farmer. Therefore, the long-term trend toward consolidation of farms into fewer and larger farms is expected to continue displacing small independent farmers.

I am in a rural area--- and in my county there are only two family farms that don't have an off farm income to supplement(or replace) the farm income. .
Mine and a Dairy
Most are farming part time just for the tax benefits.

Thats pretty sad..............

well at least land prices are very very high around here...so if I ever do have to stop farming as my occupation then I can live off the money i've got saved up and then give the land to my children if they ever need to sell it...I just feel sorry for all of the younguns that will grow up in a time with no farming or ranching...

Caustic Burno":ww0gqmh4 said:
dj it is going to get worse I agree I have read that the vast majority of cattle operation owners in Texas are over 50.

I wonder if that age has been the norm even in the past? Could be that it takes years for young people to either inherit a farm or build up a stake large enough to get started.

I know a bunch of guys I went to college with that majored in Ag, went on to Ag jobs or other fields but as they have reached their 40's now they are starting to build up farms of their own. I know one in particular that became an Ag Teacher and rented a house in town, but now as he has matured he has bought a farm and is running close to 200 cows.

Stattable.jpg

Latest posts