Farm Euthanasia of Cattle and Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Gunshot
Ensure the animal is well restrained.
Plan to shoot outdoors when possible.
Have a backstop (e.g., an earth berm, manure pile, or something that will stop the bullet if you miss or it over-penetrates) behind the area you are aiming at.
Use a firearm and ammunition that are appropriate for the size, age and type of animal. The ammunition used to euthanize an animal must be powerful enough to make the animal immediately unconscious and to penetrate the head deeply enough to destroy the areas of the brain that control breathing and circulation.
A shotgun using Buckshot cartridges that contain 6 pellets weighing a total of 30 g, or a 9 mm or a .357 calibre firearm, can be used to successfully euthanize most cattle older than six months. A larger calibre firearm will be needed for large bulls.
For calves aged six months and younger, .22 calibre "long-rifle" hollow-nosed ammunition is generally adequate.
Hold the firearm 5-25 cm (2-10 in.) from the target site. To avoid personal injury, do NOT place the firearm muzzle against the animal's skull. Aim the shot down the line of the spine so that the bullet will enter the brain stem (the beginning of the spinal cord), and shoot.
Be careful to avoid injury from thrashing limbs when the animal collapses.
| Top of Page |

Target Site and Penetration Angle
For cattle older than six months, the gunshot should penetrate the skull at the intersection of lines extending from the lower base of each side of the horn bed to the inside corner of the opposite eye .
For calves six months of age and younger, direct the shot at the intersection of lines drawn from the top base of each ear to the inside corner of the eye on the opposite side of the head

One of the drugs used is called SLEEP AWAY. I have had to use it before and it works fast!! The vet does not like to give it out, but mine does. I have used the other method and it works also.

22 mag. more than adequate with proper shot placement. Put down 2 1300lb steers with one today. Behind the ear with penetration back towards the brain seems to work best. Think it pops the stem where the skull connects to the spine. Draw a line between the eyes and shoot an inch above that works good too.

.22 mag, never failed. Make sure the spine and head are in line
and they come down quicker than a prom dress. A quick pass with the knife and they bleed out in seconds. Never had one complain. DMc

Medic24":1iq6r0b2 said:
Hey DR. was hoping and wondering why you shot the steers?

Hope it was for slaughter, and not an unexpected loss. :cboy:

The outfit I'm working for gives every employee a side every six months. These were not mine but I got the business for my friend and delivered on Sunday. Helped him skin, gut and hang.

Winchester 30/30 seems to do the job, only had to do it twice once to a Down Heifer (had not float tank) and my daughters colt she raised from a from infancy. The heifer was easy due to her suffering the Horse was hard, even harder to tell my 9 year old daughter.

Crowderfarms":2owfkttf said:
Doc Kevorkian, Rural edition. I never had a .22 fail me with an imaginary "X" between the eyes, and ears.
Shot a calf that was down with a .22 long rifle. Left for less than an hour and the calf was standing when I got back. Maybe I didn't have the right angle or maybe it was because it was not a hollow point. I don't know.
Ever since I have been paranoid about using enough gun.

Had to drop a horse with a .22 LR the other day. Went down like a rock and never took another breath. Never did a cow, so don't know if it would be different.

Chris

I've never used anything more than a 22 magnum. Most of the time I use a 10/22 LR. Puts 2 or 3 in there before I can blink. May not need to but sure makes me feel better.

This reminds me of hog killing time at my grandpaw's. As kids we got to shoot the hogs. Between the eyes with a 22. If that pig squeeled you can bet you wouldn't be shooting anymore for a while. The only thing you would get to shoot at would be for target practice.

Bama":6cxkdvwo said:
This reminds me of hog killing time at my grandpaw's. As kids we got to shoot the hogs. Between the eyes with a 22. If that pig squeeled you can bet you wouldn't be shooting anymore for a while. The only thing you would get to shoot at would be for target practice.

Now someone that has been to a hog killin, do you remeber the 55 gallon drums with the hot water to scald them hogs, also the women slinging the crapp out of the intestines and washing them in clorox water for sausage casings. Always had to hussle up bear grass to hang the sausage and hams in the smokehouse. We also had brains and eggs for one meal that day and liver for the other.

Caustic Burno":1yiey8vm said:
Bama":1yiey8vm said:

Now someone that has been to a hog killin, do you remeber the 55 gallon drums with the hot water to scald them hogs, also the women slinging the crapp out of the intestines and washing them in clorox water for sausage casings. Always had to hussle up bear grass to hang the sausage and hams in the smokehouse. We also had brains and eggs for one meal that day and liver for the other.

Do not forget the old tin cans we cut in half to scrape the hair off!

Done more than a few in my day.

Bez!

Now Caustic, I bet you ate your share of cracklins too, didn't you? I remember one of the items that I wanted the most from my grandparent's estate was a big old black, cast iron kettle that we used to fry down the cracklins --- did't get it. :mad:

Latest posts