Fall Seeding Mix ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased some ground last year from I guy that liked to try to farm black gumbo clay. He only got a good crop in a drought.
Last spring I got into it early but some of the crop flooded out in late May. This spring it is so wet I can not get into it.
So I need to tile it or seed it down to hay.

What are your thoughts on reed canary vs. tall fescue, and red clover vs. bird foot trefoil, for a long term hay crop planting mix ?

Stocker Steve":10v5k187 said:
I purchased some ground last year from I guy that liked to try to farm black gumbo clay. He only got a good crop in a drought.
Last spring I got into it early but some of the crop flooded out in late May. This spring it is so wet I can not get into it.
So I need to tile it or seed it down to hay.

What are your thoughts on reed canary vs. tall fescue, and red clover vs. bird foot trefoil, for a long term hay crop planting mix ?

In reference to planting red clover,

You don't get ample supplies of volunteer red clover on the wet years?

and secondly,

do you find making dry, non-moldy hay just too easy and need a challenge? ;-)

Back in the day clover with timothy was the standard drill box mix. So we do get volunteer clover - - red, dutch, or alsike depending on the field - - but the deer prefer that we add some clover into the mix.

This type of meadow ground is a one or two cut production depending on the year. So how well will birds foot persist with tall fescue or reed canary ?

Stocker Steve":rco5d9as said:
Back in the day clover with timothy was the standard drill box mix. So we do get volunteer clover - - red, dutch, or alsike depending on the field - - but the deer prefer that we add some clover into the mix.

This type of meadow ground is a one or two cut production depending on the year. So how well will birds foot persist with tall fescue or reed canary ?

At out local research station, the only legume that could really stand up to the competition with RC was Kura clover. Alfalfa and trefoil could, but to a lesser extent.

Come here after the tour in Roseau and the neighbor has about 30 acres in RC and alfalfa. That will give you an idea of what that mix can do.

I am not a tall fescue guy. I know people that are, but not me.

Latest posts