Fall Cattle work

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
We have weaned calves and preg checked 60 cows the last couple days. Went pretty smooth. Culled 4 for being old and going down hill. Culled 2 for being open one about 9 years old the other a second calf cow from a different herd. I was pretty happy alot of stories of folks around here having a bunch open. Right or wrong i don't give second chances. Next week we are checking about 20 heifers i hope my luck holds out.

Did you get done with tobacco. Many here got delayed by all the rain. I have heard some bad reports on curing. Some say it has not cured because of dampness.

Yes we got finished hauling in cut tobacco Tuesday of last week. Cleaned shop Wednesday started stripping Friday. Yes that first week of oct. was really bad on curing alot house burn. Only had one barn go past that with some rot on lower teirs. What we are stripping now is on outside scaffolds with just a little mold on tips, a new barn i built this year and hung first has alot of mold on tips. IT will for sure not be my highest quality crop due to barn problems. I have seen the pictures from northern ky and heard from adjusters its a total mess up there. Being out of the field and ground to wet to cover crop is why we got all these cows worked this week. Heifers will have to wait for more wet ground.

We purchased a bull the other day and I had to walk through the guys barn to help him move the bull towards the loading area. One quick walk through the barn and my eyes were watering and lungs felt like they were on fire. I have never seen a tobacco barn that bad and I have spent plenty of time in many of them.

Latest posts