Fall Bulls. 10 months old.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
These bulls are 10 months old. Fire Sweep saw them the week they were at the Simmental National Classic in Louisville.

Who are the sires to both bulls in picture one?

Then in picture 3 far right bull in the distance?

They look great. Well done on breeding. Very nice looking bulls. :clap: :clap:

Dixie2542 said:
Bright Raven said:
These bulls are 10 months old. Fire Sweep saw them the week they were at the Simmental National Classic in Louisville.

Who are the sires to both bulls in picture one?

Then in picture 3 far right bull in the distance?

They look great. Well done on breeding. Very nice looking bulls. :clap: :clap:

Thank you. I am ashamed to say again. No scales. :frowns:

1. Cowboy Cut
2. Cowboy Cut
3. HPF Optimizer
4. Upgrade
5. Lock N Load 1143Y

Third Picture, Far Right
Lock N Load 1143Y

Bright Raven said:
TN Cattle Man said:
What are they weighing? Are they growing like that solely on grass, or are you pushing the feed to them?

I don't know the weight. I feed 7 bulls 25 pounds of a 12 % protein mixed feed. I just sent the feed label to a guy I met at the Simmental National Classic who is very knowledgeable on feeding bulls to develop muscle without fat.

Which Feed are you using and which calves are not already sold?

sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:
TN Cattle Man said:
What are they weighing? Are they growing like that solely on grass, or are you pushing the feed to them?

I don't know the weight. I feed 7 bulls 25 pounds of a 12 % protein mixed feed. I just sent the feed label to a guy I met at the Simmental National Classic who is very knowledgeable on feeding bulls to develop muscle without fat.

Southern States. 12 % CO-OP Orange Tag.
Crude Protein 12%
Crude Fat 1.25 %
Crude Fiber 23 %

The Bull Calf marked Number 1 in the picture is not sold. A Cowboy Cut.
The Bull Calf in Picture 5, far left with white face. A Lock N Load 1143Y.

The unsold#1 isn't as deep bodied as the others but still looks like a nice bull. Well done, they look good!

Lazy M said:
The unsold#1 isn't as deep bodied as the others but still looks like a nice bull. Well done, they look good!

Thank you.

Excellent observation. That bull is from a moderate cow. In my opinion, knowing his Dam, he will grow into a nice deep moderate size bull. His Dam is a Flying B Cut Above. Big Butt.

Bright Raven said:
sstterry said:
Bright Raven said:

Southern States. 12 % CO-OP Orange Tag.
Crude Protein 12%
Crude Fat 1.25 %
Crude Fiber 23 %

The Bull Calf marked Number 1 in the picture is not sold. A Cowboy Cut.
The Bull Calf in Picture 5, far left with white face. A Lock N Load 1143Y.

I thought you were using Blue Ribbon. No wonder they look so darn good, you got on the Southern States feed plan. When you going to check out the label I gave you?

Ron they look good. Would like to see what they weigh at 4, 5, 6 years old and how heavy their front ends get. That's about the only problems we've had with simmental bulls.

gizmom said:
They look good and I like the way your developing them.

Gizmom

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that comment. I am very self-conscious about proper development. Nutrition and development of seedstock is an area I need help on. I am good on reproductive science and vaccination, etc. Nutrition is not a subject I feel like I have a good handle on.

Bright Raven said:
gizmom said:

Gizmom

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate that comment. I am very self-conscious about proper development. Nutrition and development of seedstock is an area I need help on. I am good on reproductive science and vaccination, etc. Nutrition is not a subject I feel like I have a good handle on.

You made a big improvement by using Southern States feed, now if I can get you over to the red label.

Don't underestimate what even a small amount of grain can do.. I saw it with my old cow, she got a 5 lb bucket twice a week or so her last summer and for a toothless and arthritic old cow she raised one of the best heifers that year

************* said:
Bright Raven said:
gizmom said:

Gizmom

You made a big improvement by using Southern States feed, now if I can get you over to the red label.

Thanks. I switched from Blue Label back in the winter. The SS has less fat and carbohydrate and more fiber. On occasion, due to convenience, I pick up Blue Label, but the SS is better for development of bone and muscle without adding fat. I will look again at the red label.

Nesikep said:
Don't underestimate what even a small amount of grain can do.. I saw it with my old cow, she got a 5 lb bucket twice a week or so her last summer and for a toothless and arthritic old cow she raised one of the best heifers that year

They don't need much to work wonders, 2-3 pounds max.

Bright Raven said:
gizmom said:

Gizmom

Nutrition is tough to get a handle on, what is an albatross for one farm, works great for another. Your native grass will have advantages, where mine has disadvantages and vice a verse. I'm like you trying to figure out what exactly works the best, it appears keeping mine around 2% fat, 14% protein is working best, we are already on hay out here, so I think my protein needs to be up a bit. Your bulls look really fit and look athletic (ready to work).

Latest posts