Fall Bull Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
I am curious to everyones thoughts on the prices of bulls this fall. I was planning on going to a sale in a couple of weeks and hoping to bring a bull home, but my rule of thumb has always been paying about the value of 3 to 4 steers. For me, at this point, that would be $1,500-$2,000. From the averages I have seen from sales I doubt I can buy a bull for that. Can one justify paying much more than in a commercial use application?

I watched a sale last Saturday and the prices were definitely down from their spring sale. There seemed to be some good bulls that sold for under 4K.

northcreek":6h41ioyg said:
Sounds like I need to up more bull budget.

If you're keeping heifers for breeding stock, remember, the bull you pick will be half of the genetics in your future herd.

It's less important if you're selling / feeding everything out.

Good bulls will be available for less than $2,500. around here. I've been bull shopping and it's definitely a buyers market. I'm going to try and hold out from buying till the middle of November. Or maybe the Calhoun bull test sale in December. In our state Cattlemen's magazine it list all the bull sales around the southeast. I enjoy getting out and looking at different bulls and shooting the bull with different folks. Shop around is my advice.

I've been shopping around some. I've found a couple that at first look I liked, but on follow-up visits I've found some things I didnt catch the first time. I've got one I've got narrowed down that I think may work but I'll look around a little more before I do anything. 2500 to 3000. One group was farm raised bulls, the other small group was name brand ai sons. I liked the home growns better. I think they had been picked through pretty good already.

True Grit Farms":3op5is06 said:
Good bulls will be available for less than $2,500. around here. I've been bull shopping and it's definitely a buyers market. I'm going to try and hold out from buying till the middle of November. Or maybe the Calhoun bull test sale in December. In our state Cattlemen's magazine it list all the bull sales around the southeast. I enjoy getting out and looking at different bulls and shooting the bull with different folks. Shop around is my advice.
Yes, it's definitely a buyers market. I've heard that a local sale a few weeks ago that top yearling bulls (angus) were going around $1,200. Seller lost his shirt and on these bulls from what I heard. Calhoun will be a good factor in determining what lies ahead. If these go cheap, it could be a long recovery around here.

kilroy60":rb2n3ww7 said:
True Grit Farms":rb2n3ww7 said:
Yes, it's definitely a buyers market. I've heard that a local sale a few weeks ago that top yearling bulls (angus) were going around $1,200. Seller lost his shirt and on these bulls from what I heard. Calhoun will be a good factor in determining what lies ahead. If these go cheap, it could be a long recovery around here.

I'm planning on buying a bull or two at the Calhoun sale myself this year. I didn't even bother going to the Hil-Vue Farms sale this year. They started the price to high this year in this market. I usually buy a bred heifer from them, because they have some really good old line genetics.

I know of two more bull sales in this area in the next month. I'm sure these farms are worried since they typically do very well with their sales each year.

kilroy60":39xa8t48 said:
I know of two more bull sales in this area in the next month. I'm sure these farms are worried since they typically do very well with their sales each year.

Are any of these Angus bull sales? If they are please let me know the where and when. Thanks, Vince

I've always bought my bulls from my uncle. I pick them up as usually short yearling. His entire herd I registered black angus for probably 20 years.
I picked up new calf yesterday. I got pick a month back out of 17 Bulls.
I always pay what he ask no questions. And I don't get or expect a discount.
Any way he called yesterday wanting me to come get my bull. He had sold all the others, at private treaty and wanted the pen to wean some heifers.

$1750??? Sign me up! We're looking at bulls Thursday, private treaty. I hate buying at auctions; bought 2 a few years ago and while they seemed pretty docile prior to the auction, one was hot the minute they moved him to the loading pen. Figured he'd eventually settle down but he never did, even after a year, and to tried take out my husband. Buh-bye! That was an expensive mistake.

TCRanch":12tozqui said:
$1750??? Sign me up! We're looking at bulls Thursday, private treaty. I hate buying at auctions; bought 2 a few years ago and while they seemed pretty docile prior to the auction, one was hot the minute they moved him to the loading pen. Figured he'd eventually settle down but he never did, even after a year, and to tried take out my husband. Buh-bye! That was an expensive mistake.

I'm glad someone thinks its a bargain. I think it's just bout right. Remember these are 9 to 12 month . So when you get em to 18 months going to have a couple grand in em

callmefence":1nquwdul said:
TCRanch":1nquwdul said:

I'm glad someone thinks its a bargain. I think it's just bout right. Remember these are 9 to 12 month . So when you get em to 18 months going to have a couple grand in em

Good point, I missed the age. But the last 2 we bought were 12 months, naturally when the prices were at peak.

We just sold a bull calf to a neighbor for $967.60, based on current Sale Barn prices @1.18 per lb. Baby boy clocked in at 820 lbs when we weaned him at 7 months (his dam doesn't weigh more than 1300 lbs) but we weren't guaranteeing fertility or EPD's - although he definitely had game :)

True Grit Farms":1tkciqjn said:
kilroy60":1tkciqjn said:

Are any of these Angus bull sales? If they are please let me know the where and when. Thanks, Vince
Yes, both are Angus sales. One will be in Nov after Thanksgiving at Bridges Farm in Lexington Ga. The other is Dec 3rd (I think) at Bramblet Farms in Elberton Ga. Both have excellent cattle and are great farms. I'm probably going to attend both just to see how things go.

I look at the bull market probably a little different. If I retain heifers or there terminal I want the best I can justify, pounds and good mommas that's it.
I think this year will be tougher on folks raising bulls, everyone wants a deal and I do understand that, but if you don't support these smaller folks with your checkbook things may change. The guy that sold his for $1200 lost his shirt, he sure did. Now maybe he is gone if that continues then all that will be left is the big boys and there average doesn't change alot.
Try and support these sales that have the different consigned that have only 3 bulls and the only outlet for them. If you like that bull raise your hand.

bse":310j9msi said:
I look at the bull market probably a little different. If I retain heifers or there terminal I want the best I can justify, pounds and good mommas that's it.
I think this year will be tougher on folks raising bulls, everyone wants a deal and I do understand that, but if you don't support these smaller folks with your checkbook things may change. The guy that sold his for $1200 lost his shirt, he sure did. Now maybe he is gone if that continues then all that will be left is the big boys and there average doesn't change alot.
Try and support these sales that have the different consigned that have only 3 bulls and the only outlet for them. If you like that bull raise your hand.

The bolded post is the truth.

It applies to most things - if you only ever buy from the biggest operations, the only operations around will be the biggest ones.

If you're looking for something and a smaller operator has something you like buy it for a good price for both of you.

Latest posts