Fair deal for yarding timber out on another farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Guy that owns the farm next to me is having some timber cut, I know the people cutting it and they asked about cutting a section of mine back in that area. They want to yard it out and haul out thru the other guy. What would be fair to offer the other guy? He may not even be interested in doing it, don't expect it for nothing but don't want to be taken advantage of either.

How much are you talking about. A couple loads or 100 loads. The fact that you will have no roads or damage bringing it out over your land is worth something. $500 is not a bad deal even if its only a few loads. If he is a good neighbor he may not want anything but a couple hundred makes even better neighbors.

kenny thomas":3dl82uld said:
How much are you talking about. A couple loads or 100 loads. The fact that you will have no roads or damage bringing it out over your land is worth something. $500 is not a bad deal even if its only a few loads. If he is a good neighbor he may not want anything but a couple hundred makes even better neighbors.
Not sure how many loads, he does not live on the place and has been a pain for a adjoining land owner. May only cut 10-15 acres, they are cutting right across the line and set up on him so they would not have to move to do it, if he won't let them do it, I will pass. $500 is what I had in mind, timber guy is going to ask him and offered to go half with me on it he wants it, he said he is in a good mood since his timber was doing so good.

Five hundred dollars would be more than generous but I wouldn't take anything other than a guarantee that any damages would be either fixed or paid for assuming of course you have been a good neighbor. If not, wasting your time troubling me.

kenny thomas":1fdp5xwt said:
hurleyjd":1fdp5xwt said:
I would let the timber cutters work with the neighbor and not get involved personally.
Very good advice. Then if something goes wrong its between logger and neighbor.
That is what I am doing. He is talking to him today I really think he will say no, told the timber guy I would pay some and we agreed we would split it. Worth something not to tear up grass as it is too late to reseed when they get done.

Its the neighborly thing to do. Happens all the time here. Only a complete azz asks for money or refuses to be neighborly.

Jogeephus":ie1bops8 said:
Its the neighborly thing to do. Happens all the time here. Only a complete azz asks for money or refuses to be neighborly.
He has the reputation f the complete you know what, gets along with no one.

That's actually a sweet deal, to get some mature logs off your place, and not have the mess of them coming in and out, and loading on you.

tom4018":30y5hsyr said:
Jogeephus":30y5hsyr said:

Reputation and reality are two different things. Sounds like he gets along with you pretty well. Maybe he's earned the reputation unjustly possibly by someone who tried to do a number on him and got their hand slapped.

Jogeephus":f507r8em said:
tom4018":f507r8em said:
Jogeephus":f507r8em said:

Reputation and reality are two different things. Sounds like he gets along with you pretty well. Maybe he's earned the reputation unjustly possibly by someone who tried to do a number on him and got their hand slapped.
Me and him have had our words. I stood my ground and did not let him push me around. He seems to try and bully you but backs done, timber guy said he put it to him that he was going to do mine and be would give him $200 just not to move his equipment. He agreed.

Heck, he might respect you for standing up to him. There was a woman here who had a bad reputation for being a real witch to do business with. She and I butted heads one day because she was wrong about something and thought I was doing her wrong. I stood my ground and she later learned the truth of the matter and after that we never had a problem. Actually became fairly close friends. I also learned that she had lost two children to a fire and while she was in a deep depression someone she trusted took advantage of her and this was the root of her mistrust that led to her orneriness. Had many people tell me how they couldn't see how or why I'd do stuff for her. People can be complex and some can just be azzholes but maybe you have made some headway here.

Bigfoot":91ag135s said:
That's actually a sweet deal, to get some mature logs off your place, and not have the mess of them coming in and out, and loading on you.
That is what I thought. If he would have said no I would have pass this late I the year because I doubt I would have been able to reseed the grass this late in the year. So the only damage to my place should be in the woods, I won't get a large amount of money as most of this was cut in 1996. The is a small area that not cut then so maybe we can get enough make a good payment on a disc mower.

Latest posts