Fact or Myth - A poll

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it true when you get lost you will go in circles?

• Yes - This is a fact

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • No - This is a myth

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • How should I know, I've never been lost

Votes: 20 39.2%

• Total voters
Earth is mostly round so yes, eventually you will make a circle if you stay lost long enough--and live long enough--and can walk on water.

Heard this many times before. I know if you go walking in a dense forest and you ignore directional signals, you will walk in circles, rather quickly too.

Probably because no one is built exactly square. One leg is alwasy shorter then the other.

I think it's plausible
Back a few years ago we had a big snow(big for us)
It was a couple miles to my place from pavement, so I decided to walk in and check the water
I could see the coner of my place from the hill but I couldn't see it once I started down off the hill towards it
It was sand hills up and down and covered in snow and looked foreign to me
I had started on a straight line to he corner of my place and I felt like I had walked far enough to be there but I had never come to the fence
Finally I climbed up a hill and saw I had past the corner and was walking parallel to my place
Had I just kept walking I think I'd have made a circle

Jo, it depends on what you are drinking. If it water, you will go in a left circle if it is on your left side. You will go in a right circle if it is on your right side. If you are drinking whiskey, you will go in a straight line albeit a crooked one.

Get out of the C quadrant of your brain and go into the A quadrant. C quadrant will get you lost every time. Some people go thru life functioning out of the C quadrant and "gut feelings". They must have gotten lucky a time or two and now they feel that is the way to do things.

It made me think of the circles of stupidity. Gandalf:

The strategies based on stupidity and deceit are self-defeating.
They spiral downwards in an endless vicious circle. There is no time
to think, to plan, to look into the future. Everything is short term and hasty
(see chapter 16.) When the effects of stupidity begin to be felt, new twists
are found to blur the picture and do something even more stupid. As the old
saying goes, "if you can't get it right screw it up so nobody else can."

It is too dang early in the morning Jogee. I really wish you wouldn't provoke the brain this early in the day.

ga.prime":2fyqzinl said:
Who's crazy enough to walk around wearing a blindfold?

Some folks might be better off. They'd have to stop and think (for once). Listen for sounds, feel the sun on their face, stick their hand up and feel the breeze etc. You could probably take their blindfold off after that; you met your original objective.

I am too lazy to walk in a circle unless it is to circle back to the pickup. It is much easier to drive in a circle.

Got lost bad one time in the fog hunting Elk down on the New Mexico border. Walked for what seemed like forever and finally hit a fence. I remembered i had left my truck parked at that fence so i decided to follow it. the only real problem was which way to turn. I walked a mile the wrong way and finally figured out i was wrong so i had to walk a mile and a half to get to the truck.

After a long time in that soup i was beginning to feel a little doubt so I decided it would be a good time to maybe to holler and see if i was near the truck. So I holler hallo, anyone around and from less than 20ft away I hear my Dad say what the heck you hollering for we're right here.

Of course i covered my manly ego by saying thats good i was worried that you guys were lost......i don't think they bought it :shock:

I did the same thing when I was walking to my deer stand a few years back in a very very dense fog. Keep in mind it was dark, and foggy, and I walked and walked, and ended up coming to a fence, so I walked along the fence and found out it was the same one I had just came across. :shock:
So , yeah. its a fact.. or at least for me it was.. I walked in a circle that time.

Limomike":3vboal5z said:
I did the same thing when I was walking to my deer stand a few years back in a very very dense fog. Keep in mind it was dark, and foggy, and I walked and walked, and ended up coming to a fence, so I walked along the fence and found out it was the same one I had just came across. :shock:
So , yeah. its a fact.. or at least for me it was.. I walked in a circle that time.

I was night hunting a few years back when a fog fell in on me. You couldn't see ten feet in front of you.
Now I was in a fenced 200 acre cow pasture and walked a long time before I came to a fence.
I knew that the fence would lead back to where I parked the truck, I had no clue if I needed to go right or left.
Luckily I went left and it was the short way back to the truck and I knew where I was when I got to the creek.
I still didn't get off that fence after crossing the creek bet I walked ten miles before I found that dam fence.
Now I was in a pasture I had hunted all my life and was lost as a goose and knew where I was at.

denvermartinfarms":1ajpcgxd said:
I guess it's probably right about the walking, but driving in a strait line wouldn't be hard.

Really? I challenge you to go into a field, pick a spot at the other end of it and drive to that spot blindfolded. I doubt you'll make it to exact spot you picked. I bet even in 100 yards you could be up to 10 feet off the mark. :nod:

Latest posts