Fact finding mission to the sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So with nothing to do today I went to the sale to see what bred cows are selling for. All the bred cows were too big, too small, or too young. So I didn't buy any cows. But I did buy a couple more steers. I got 2 char cross steers that weigh 460 for $1.62 Since I "quit buying steers" I have bought 9 of them. Before I quit I averaged $1.90. Steers bought after I quit buying have averaged about $1.62 or 1.63. The wife looked at my paperwork and said you didn't do a very good job of sitting on your hands. I replied, "you know better than to let me good to the sale with my check book in my pocket."

So with nothing to do today I went to the sale to see what bred cows are selling for. All the bred cows were too big, too small, or too young. So I didn't buy any cows. But I did buy a couple more steers. I got 2 char cross steers that weigh 460 for $1.62 Since I "quit buying steers" I have bought 9 of them. Before I quit I averaged $1.90. Steers bought after I quit buying have averaged about $1.62 or 1.63. The wife looked at my paperwork and said you didn't do a very good job of sitting on your hands. I replied, "you know better than to let me good to the sale with my check book in my pocket."
Well done Dave, my wife phones and asks which pens to have ready when I get home. 😂

Well done Dave, my wife phones and asks which pens to have ready when I get home. 😂
Well this was a last minute trip so I just drove the run around pickup. So I have to go back tomorrow with the trailer to pick them up. I just did a little calculating on the group. They averaged 397.8 when I bought them and I average paying $1.82. With August feeder futures at a little over $2.00 I am thinking this group will work.

Well this was a last minute trip so I just drove the run around pickup. So I have to go back tomorrow with the trailer to pick them up. I just did a little calculating on the group. They averaged 397.8 when I bought them and I average paying $1.82. With August feeder futures at a little over $2.00 I am thinking this group will work.
Take into account double freight cost…..

Take into account double freight cost…..
Yes, but the little pickup burns gas at $3.63 while the pickup pulling the trailer burns diesel at $4.65. And the little S-10 gets about 5 miles to the gallon better mileage. So when I don't plan on buying anything it makes more sense to drive the S-10.

But how many times do you end up paying both?
How many times do you go to the sale and not buy anything compared to how many times you make the trip twice.

But how many times do you end up paying both?
How many times do you go to the sale and not buy anything compared to how many times you make the trip twice.
When I am going to buy, like when I start buying cows next month I always take the trailer. This was a spur of the moment trip yesterday. Occasionally (but rarely) I have other business in town and don't feel like dragging the trailer through town. I drag an empty trailer home more often than I have to make an extra trip. Actually there more extra trips because I bought more than I can haul in just one trip. These two steers I bought yesterday were $230 less than my average. It will cost about $44 in fuel to go get them today. That pencils out.

Latest posts