eye picture need feedback please!

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif

Reaction score
What would you all say about this picture? Just the makings of pinkeye? I remember awhile back aomeone posted a topic about a calf born with a white spot in its eye and someone said it was IBR.>?
Just wanted to see what some of you all thought.
thanks
bif

pinkeye.jpg
[/img]

My experience with pinkeye has been - first, I notice a watery eye. It looks continually wet from the corner of the eye all the way down to the bottom of the jaw. The eye only turns white if left untreated. If treated after white has occured the white may go away but could take 1-2 months after treatment and the watering has stopped. If never treated the animal will be blind in that eye. I don't see a water line on this ones face to make me think pinkeye but how long has the eye been like this? If it has been a long time then I think leftover results from pinkeye. If no other symptoms than a white eye - I think it is just a bad eye. Cataract or some trauma like poked it on grass, hay, or weeds.

Well I was thinking leftover results from pinkeye. Mainly cause too many of them have the same problem and I am still treating for pinkeye with some others. These cattle are on wheat grazeoff so they get kind of neglected this time of year. Then you go out to look at them and find a mess of pinkeye! I just rememebered the post about a white spot in the eye could be IBR and wanted to see what some of you thought.
Thanks
bif

My vote goes for leftover damage from pinkeye, especially if you've had to treat several cases of it.

I have a cow that I purchased that has a white haze over one eye. She seems to be able to see out of it, but I always notice it when I am around her. I wondered if hers was left over from pinkeye.

it looks like cataracts to me too.....seen a dogs eye look like that before and that what the owners told me it had

:roll: Sorry that is no cataract. It involves the cornea. If it was a cataract it would be behind the pupil. It may be traumatic, but I would treat it like pink eye. Good luck.

pancho":2fpsx3rg said:
I would treat it like pink eye.

Have to agree here. Go ahead and treat it if it makes you sleep better. But the white spot will always be there.

Puffer, patch and a good dose of LA 200. But when the patch comes off, i'll almost bet that white spot is still there.

But is there Anything you can do when it is this stage? Looks like permanent eye damage to me.>? :oops:

buckaroo_bif":2qducmo1 said:
But is there Anything you can do when it is this stage? Looks like permanent eye damage to me.>? :oops:

bif, JMO here but, the damage will be permanent. BUT, she will be able to see thru and around that spot. Just be sure to approach her from the off side so not to get wacked if you startle her. PM me if you wanna.

If the symtons are really Bad I give a small shot of long acting penicillin in the membrane under the eyelid along with 30 cc's of LA 200 in 3 injections. Then a puffer didn't have any patches but they are in the barn. Treat them every other day. I keep them in the sick pen at least till they stop tearing.
bif

Meant to add that all I did for this one was some LA200 didn't see where anything else would help him.
Thanks for the advice everbody!
bif

Typically, if the white spot is centered we consider it normal pink eye. If the spot is off centered we consider it IBR. If it's IBR, an injection strait into the skin of the eyeball will clear it up within 12-24 hours. IBR also seems to go from nothing to watery and hazy within a day, much faster then pinkeye. But I'm no vet, just rules of thumb

dun

oh, probably the combination of all three treatments but i think the shot in the eye membrame with about a half cc of long acting penicillin probably does more good than anything. i switched from a puffer to furall spray to spray in the eye. for some reason i haven't been able to get neomycin spray anymore. that worked the best.
these calves would have never got in such bad shape if'n i weren't so gol durn busy trying to get equipment in shape for haying and harvest. i don't make it out to look at them but once a week or so... :roll:
bif

Latest posts