eye cancer/cataract

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
How common is eye cancer and/or cataracts in mature cows? We have a cow that has a "cloudy" eye, this comes after a few months of losing weight with no gain after being kept up and fed for 6 weeks. This eye has now become white but the cow still seems fine. Would appreciate any comments on this.

NewCowboy":2q4phsce said:
How common is eye cancer and/or cataracts in mature cows? We have a cow that has a "cloudy" eye, this comes after a few months of losing weight with no gain after being kept up and fed for 6 weeks. This eye has now become white but the cow still seems fine. Would appreciate any comments on this.

Do not suppose there has been a veterinarian over to have a peek?

Cancer eye usually - not always - develops into a protruding growth. The examples I have seen are growths that start on the eye lid and rub against the eye ball.

Cataracts are fairtly straight forward, going cloudy over time.

If the animal is going down - as per your initial weight loss comment - and has cancer eye it is more than a cull - in my opinion it is no longer edible. Yeah, I know the regs are different everywhere.

Sounds like this animal needs a visit from the veterinarian, or a decision to cull on spec. That cull decision would not necessarily be bad - only one cow and it is not a numbers game it is a quality game. Save the money and toss her at the first opportunity.

If it is a straight cataract and the animal is healthy - yeah, she may very well breed back - but I would only keep her long enough to get the calf to weaning - then toss her.

Best of luck,

Bez!

Thanks Bez,

I wondered also if a systemic disease would cause the gradual weight loss and then the only obvious sign of disease (the eye). No vet out yet. She is definitely bred, probably 6 mo, so we will probably have to call him out. She seems fine as far as eating and demeanor. Thanks for the reply.

Had a cancer eye 3 months ago. It first resembled a swollen eye and I assumed she had something in it. I flushed the eye and gave her a shot. The swelling continued with drainage. Got a vet and he said cancer! Had to put her in the sale.

No, we have not vaccinated for pinkeye. I guess I didn't realize there was a vaccine for this......has had all other vaccines the vet recommended. It is not crusted or matted over. Ran clear one day, nothing now. I don't think it is cancer. My papaw had a calf that had eye cancer and the eye protruded after it was about 3 months old. It had to be put down. I will research pinkeye and ask the vet also about this. But would pinkeye tend to be a contributing factor in weight loss? For some reason, we think "something" is going on with this cow,just don't know what.

NewCowboy":3tjr76u0 said:
For some reason, we think "something" is going on with this cow,just don't know what.

I don't like cows that have strange, unexplainable conditions.

Too many weird, contagious problems in those vet books for my liking.

The cloudy eye and the weight loss may or may not be related. Could very well be two separate problems.

This isn't the same cow you posted about a few months back, is it? The one that was given gentamycin? and had dropped so much weight? and the vet felt she had...what was the word, started with an "a", I think?

This isn't the same cow you posted about a few months back, is it? The one that was given gentamycin? and had dropped so much weight? and the vet felt she had...what was the word, started with an "a", I think?

anaplasmosis.

milkmaid":2a1tr97c said:

No, this is another cow. That cow is actually doing great, had the calf sold off of it and it did well also.

This is a red cow, sorry don't know the breed. Will take a photo when we check them tomorrow. Maybe that will give someone an idea....

The weight loss started after the birth of her calf last summer. Had a great calf that had a good weight at sale. Just hasn't seemed to gain back, even being put in our short pasture and fed daily for six weeks. Now the cloudy eye has shown up. I have read about pinkeye and eye cancer and neither seem to be what we are observing. I also do not know the age of this cow. Probably only 6-7 yrs.

Do cows get cataracts?????? I assume they do...... I will see if I have a photo from earlier and will post if I do.

[/img]

milkmaid":31ey71dw said:

I don't like cows that have strange, unexplainable conditions.

The cloudy eye and the weight loss may or may not be related. Could very well be two separate problems.

We don't either....I guess that is why I turn to this board for help/support/thoughts/answers.

They may very well be unrelated. Thought that maybe the eye was possibly a manifestation from an ongoing problem. Mind you the weight loss is not SEVERE, just significant enough to notice over time. Now it seems worrisome because she is obviously bred and I worry about her health.

I am trying to remember how to post a photo. I remembered.

IMG_1560.jpg

I have heard that eye cancer is more common in cattle that have white coloring around their eye. Like the herefords... Does anyone else believe that?

RebelCritter":2gr5vyud said:
I have heard that eye cancer is more common in cattle that have white coloring around their eye. Like the herefords... Does anyone else believe that?

Nope - seen it in all colours.

And, we run HH.

Bez!

I grew up with Herefords and they are bad to get this. This is because the eye lids are white and the sun burns them. It starts on the lid with a little crust, then a little sore and it starts to water and it get bigger and bigger till it takes the eye and every thing else.

Doug":3jilajom said:
I grew up with Herefords and they are bad to get this. This is because the eye lids are white and the sun burns them. It starts on the lid with a little crust, then a little sore and it starts to water and it get bigger and bigger till it takes the eye and every thing else.

I would suggest it is in the genetics.

Your blanket statement is easily disproven on just this operation. I might add there are several others quite close by that would also disprove your statement.

Bez!

Beefy":o07prbzk said:

anaplasmosis.

That's it. Thanks.

Beefy":3l9xdtyk said:
post a pic if you can.

I took some photos yesterday, they are uploading to photobucket, my computer is slow. I will post a photo later and if you dont' mind, you tell me what you think, eye and breed. Thanks.

See new post "photo of cows eye" for all but also Beefy, Bez, and Milkmaid.

Thanks!
:cboy: NewCowboy

Latest posts