Extra Teats

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just noticed yesterday that my little heifer (8 weeks) has an extra teat. She has 2 on one side and 3 on the other, the 3rd being positioned in between the "normal" 2 teats and it almost appears to have it's own gland.

Should I have the vet look at it now? or can it wait until she's older? Will this affect her ability to nurse a calf?

Ann

Nothing to worry about, many(most) cows have an extra teat. Usually it diesn't develope, just stays small. Calves won't have any problems nursing, if it turns out to be a blind teat they'll just ignore it and go for the working ones.

dunmovin farms

> I just noticed yesterday that my
> little heifer (8 weeks) has an
> extra teat. She has 2 on one side
> and 3 on the other, the 3rd being
> positioned in between the
> "normal" 2 teats and it
> almost appears to have it's own
> gland.

> Should I have the vet look at it
> now? or can it wait until she's
> older? Will this affect her
> ability to nurse a calf?

> Ann

Well that's a relief!

With the rabbits they can have any number of teats from 6-12, normally having 8-10. Of course, we prefer does that have more teats since they can raise more kits.

Ann

> Nothing to worry about, many(most)
> cows have an extra teat. Usually
> it diesn't develope, just stays
> small. Calves won't have any
> problems nursing, if it turns out
> to be a blind teat they'll just
> ignore it and go for the working
> ones.

> dunmovin farms

Ann...

If the calf is going to be a show prospect...the earlier you can remove the extra teats the better. Judges will notice the extra teats and will hold that against the heifer.

But, if she isn't going to be a show prospect...then it isn't something to worry about. However, me personally I would remove the extra teats.

Latest posts