New momma cows/extra feed

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
I had a Brangus heifer calf at 22 month the other day....82lb bull calf. We have good grass right now but with temps pushing 100 she is looking a little spent.

Any special feed/brand I could give her for extra nutrition, besides range cubes and to help with milk?

Water, shade, salt and mineral....
For small operations that might be overlooking mineral, I always recommend buying a 225 lb tub of Purina Wind and Rain mineral 125 - $130 tub, can't make it any easier than a tub. The first week after calving is often the worst week of a 1st calf heifer's entire life and with good grass she'll look better in a few weeks.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I agree with SOB - water, shade, salt & mineral.
Edit - that is if you really have good grass.

Which shouldn't be a problem in central Texas right now.

Don't want to dismiss the "looking spent" comment. Keep an eye out to make sure she is out grazing. With the hotter weather mine are spending most of the day under shade, grazing mornings, evenings and by moonlight. If she's not out and about she just might be sick.

1982vett said:
Don't want to dismiss the "looking spent" comment.
Keep an eye out to make sure she is out grazing. If she's not out and about she just might be sick.
An excellent point made by '82vett.
The stress of calving would make her more susceptible to all illnesses leaving her "looking spent".
Taking her temperature is the quickest and surest way to diagnose if she's sick.

Son of Butch said:
For small operations that might be overlooking mineral, I always recommend buying a 225 lb tub of Purina Wind and Rain mineral 125 - $130 tub, can't make it any easier than a tub. The first week after calving is often the worst week of a 1st calf heifer's entire life and with good grass she'll look better in a few weeks.

I'd prefer a $30 bag of Purina Wind and Rain loose mineral, let them keep the molasses and keep the $100 in my pocket.

Some brangus will look puny after they calve...and the weather don't necessarily have to be a factor with it...those first calves especially ..and since she got a early start in mammyhood you might have to compensate her with a little more nutrition.. To get her too breed back in a decent time frame..

TexasBred said:
Son of Butch said:

I'd prefer a $30 bag of Purina Wind and Rain loose mineral, let them keep the molasses and keep the $100 in my pocket.

I agree on the bag mineral versus the tub. We weren't getting 3 weeks on a tub versus two bags on same amount of cows.

My lil grandson and I put out salt and mineral 2 days ago... We have had the perfect amount of rain... We are green green here. Mineral and salt are GONE! We always monitor salt and mineral every other day to twice a week at least ESPECIALLY when you get those big seasonal changes. 2 weeks ago 70's and rainy. Today was 100 and a hot Humid dude. There needs change. Stay on top of it...

ALACOWMAN said:
Some brangus will look puny after they calve...and the weather don't necessarily have to be a factor with it...those first calves especially ..and since she got a early start in mammyhood you might have to compensate her with a little more nutrition.. To get her too breed back in a decent time frame..

Thanks to all for the advice..We do have some good grass right now..it was fertilized a while back and have had some decent rain including 2.5 inches earlier this week. Salt blocks are out and I put out two new tubs this past weekend, both are Crystlyx, one is protein and the other is mineral. She has access to both tank water and county water via a water trough. Have not seen her since Sunday but the wife says she is doing good, I will see her tomorrow.

Good to hear.
Now that you have tubs out, if needed you can re-purpose as a mineral feeder by weighting one with a heavy old wheel in the bottom to keep the tub from being blown away or flipped over by cows.
I like the Purina Wind & Rain loose mineral. Larger particle size to prevent wind from blowing it
away and rain/weather resistant to also prevent mineral $ loss.