Express Ranches

Help Support CattleToday:

Some friends of mine have, they are in the Limousin Seedstock buisness. The are really good. They raise limousin and angus. They have right at 5,000 head in Yukon Oklahoma, where they are located. They have interest and own alot of good limo bulls. They also sponsor alot of PBR bullriders. if I were to get Limousin I would get from them or Wulf's in Minnesota.

Wulf's Limousin is in Morris, MN. Their sale is March 31st. They will be selling 230 Hd, of which 90 are coming 2's, and 140 yearlings. 80 Females, which include 40 AI bred replacements, and 40 open replacements. Phone number for a catalog request is 1-320-392-5802. Don't know a web address.

LimiMan":1ex9yxfv said:
Thanks, copeman. Do you know anything about the Magness Limousin business

They have a division in Colorado and in Miami Oklahoma, that is all I know about them. They are another really big breeder of Limo's so I would say that they have good cattle.

Dee":mg3qgou5 said:
Wulf's Limousin is in Morris, MN. Their sale is March 31st. They will be selling 230 Hd, of which 90 are coming 2's, and 140 yearlings. 80 Females, which include 40 AI bred replacements, and 40 open replacements. Phone number for a catalog request is 1-320-392-5802. Don't know a web address.

They dont have a website. I am firends with the owners of Woodbrook Limousin Farms and they had several head of cattle from Wulf's. The cows were wild as all get out.

CopeMan said:
LimiMan said:
Thanks, copeman. Do you know anything about the Magness Limousin business

They have a division in Colorado and in Miami Oklahoma, that is all I know about them. They are another really big breeder of Limo's so I would say that they have good cattle.

Over many years of being in the cattle business (both commercial and seedstock) I've learned that there IS NOT a direct coorelation between how big an operation is and how good their cattle are. There is also NOT a coorelation between how many fancy ads they place in magazines and the quality of their cattle.

I tend to trust cattle operations that make their living off of their cattle more than those operations that had a lot of money and just went out and bought their way into the business.

Too often these big money operations spent way more money on cattle that aren't necessarily that good because a sales manager or "consultant" suggested the particular cattle they buy (many of these sales managers and consultants are more worried about getting the deal done rather than getting a good deal for the big money guy...after all they are generally paid based on a commission...the more money that is paid for the cattle the more money they make).

I must add that I know very little about the Magness operation so I don't know if they have good cattle or not.

On the other hand I have heard many, many good things about the Wolfe cattle in MN. These folks are no nonsense cattle folks who make their living from the cattle operation. They aren't real flashy folks so you won't see them promoting their cattle like some of the other big operations. I'm not a Limmy breeder so I haven't bought any cattle from them, however I personally know three Limmy herds that have bought cattle from them and every one of them speaks very highly of Leonard and Jim Wolfe and the rest of the gang up there.

the Wulfs earn thier living with cattle . They run a large farming operation. They also feed about 2000 hd per year in feedlots to see what thier genetics are doing. They are good people and have good cattle . Express is owned by Bob Funk. A super good guy, he is a billionare , and is spending money rather than making it with cattle. They do have good cattle , as for Magness , Gary Magness is one of the richest men in USA ,, Forbes says 4.0 billion. Sometime those cattle are good as long as the feed truck comes by everyday and puts feed in the bunk . I know of a case where a breeder bought some cattle and they did not do well once they were not truck feed everyday. Just try to get a line of easy keepers and select careful.Just try to find breeders who has bred cattle for the traits you like , or need .Ie.. Easy fleshing , calving ease , cattle that will work in your conditions and not in show conditions where feed is unlimited. sometime show cattle dont make good working , but most good working cattle can be shown and do alright .
my 2 cents worth . good luck

LimiMan,
Dont know if your looking for a new bull, but I have a bull that a Limousin breeder needs to own. He is KRMC 265H, he is a full brother to KRMC 917B one of the chief herdsires at Express, he is also a full brother to McGee Polled Nightside. The dam of these bulls was, and might still be the number 2 cow for milk in the Limousin breed. I am a commercial breeder and have used this bull since 2001. I have several daughters in the herd. Its a waste, for me to have this bull, he needs to be in a Limi seedstock program.

Houston, thanks for the thought, but I am guessing the bull you have is purebred and I am trying to stay on the fullblood side. But I do apprieciate the thought.

Express has several sales each year with a huge difference in the cost of the cattle....The Fast Forward averages over 10,000 every year..The spring bull sale they sell Limi and Angus bulls for every budget..The Honor roll sale is heifers and a few steers for mainly junior show projects..
I have been out of high school for 4 years and haven't kept up like did in high school, but I do remember they had a mature cow herd sale a couple years ago that had some real good cattle and they were very reasonably priced...

I think the Wulf sale is always the best overall set of cattle to sell year in and out...I remember when I was up there several years back Express bought Guardian for 80,000...Very few of the Express cattle aren't bred down from what they have aquired from Wulf

Deer Valley in Tennesse has some real good cattle in there sale each year as well, but sometimes they seem to get a little to pricey for most people..

Hopefully that may help a little..If I had to choose one sale there isn't any other choice than Wulf...

Sorry if this was a little long, I just haven't talked cattle hardly at all the past 4 years, didn't know I had that much to say about the subject but I guess I was wrong...

LimiMan,
If your looking for fullbloods, and someone with a large selection, it will be EastfieldsFarms in Tenn, or Oak Medeows in LaGrange, Texas both have a large selection. Express does not have fullbloods other than herdsires.

houstoncutter":25utcxsq said:
LimiMan,
If your looking for fullbloods, and someone with a large selection, it will be EastfieldsFarms in Tenn, or Oak Medeows in LaGrange, Texas both have a large selection. Express does not have fullbloods other than herdsires.

I agree, most of your big Limousin Ranches are purebreds, limiman.

LimiMan":607i5asr said:
Just curious if anyone around here has done any business with Express

limiman,

you may already know this, but the express ranch bull sale in ok is on march 4.

jt

Yeah, JT I will be there, they have a few fullblood bulls they are going to run through the sale. Thanks for the heads up.

The North American Limousin Foundation recently launched a bull sale listing where you can search for a bull that fits your individual needs. Search by:

State
Owner
Percent Limousin Blood
Sire
Color
Horned/polled status

Go to http://www.nalf.org and click on the Limousin Exchange Bulls for Sale icon.

There are more than 1200 bulls currently listed with more being added every day. This is a great tool to find your "perfect bull." I have found several great prospects myself.

Check it out!

Latest posts