Explosion in West,tx fertilizer plant

Help Support CattleToday:

You can bet after the investigation is finished there will be a long list of OSHA 1910 violation's at the plant.
You can not become complacent in everyday procedure's, training and routine inspection and maintenance when dealing with hydrocarbon's. This scene has played out many times in our country from we got lucky on this one, to O Shyt event's in West. I am not a big fan of government reg's OSHA 1910 is the exception as it has been written in blood from just such event's.

Texas PaPaw":3bzyzuwa said:
backhoeboogie":3bzyzuwa said:
Glad you are okay Brock. You came to mind. I knew you were close.

Thanks for your concern. We're fine but lots of other folks are hurting or worse. Please continue your prayers for them. This is a really horrible and tragic situation especially for such a small community and will have a huge effect for many years to come.

My prayers are with you and your neighbor's.

This video is now making the rounds. It appears that it wants you to think something fishy was going on. My guess is some of the flammable vapors made it away from the main fire site before igniting. Anyway, something else to look at.

http://youtu.be/d9S7yVbqcmg
[youtube]d9S7yVbqcmg[/youtube]

My wife was just telling me about a Texas Fella Who not only was at and survived the Boston Bombing but gets home to Waco and goes through that as well that had to be He!! ... Prayers and Rest in peace all the Dearly departed

Many thanks to all for the kind words and prayers. Please keep the prayers coming for this community as it will be hurting for some time. They're now saying 30-40 people are unaccounted for. Hopefully they have gotten out safely, just not accounted for. Lots of places have opened their doors to those who need a place to stay as at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the town is cordoned of to anyone except emergency personnel due to possibility of gas leaks and unstable buildings. About 1/2 of town has no water or gas. Also they are still searching the rubble of the collapsed homes and apartments.

Our church is about a 1/2 mile from the explosion. Had a structural engineer inspect and he said the building is structurally sound but has quite a bit of damage to the suspended ceilings and lights. Not sure when the closed areas will be reopened. Lots of folks would really like to check out their homes and get started on repairs/rebuilds.

3 of the 4 schools are unusable. 1 has a lot of fire damage and 2 more have significant structural damage as they were less than 1/4 mile from the explosion. Thank goodness this happened after school was over for the day.

Have been told the names of 6 first responders who died in the blast and 3 others who were hospitalized. Only 1 of the deceased has been confirmed to the media.

Once again, many thanks for all you prayers and concerns.

Texas PaPaw":1lddxvio said:
I live 10 miles from West. Was out in pasture and heard 2 loud booms and a few minutes later wife got a text asking if we were ok and we were told the explosion was in West. We headed for our church in West to see if we could help. Church is about 1/2 mile from explosion and had minor damage from fallen ceiling tiles, etc. Soon after arriving, we were advised to leave as there was the possibility of further explosion and folks were going to the community center on the other end of town. The town was a zoo with tons of traffic, emergency vehicles from miles and miles around. The community center was being used as a triage center. Took some water by there and it was full of mostly elderly folks being treated. Looked to me like lots of cuts possibly from flying glass. Were told that they had plenty of help as emergency personel from several counties were on the scene. 6 careflight choppers are busy transporting seriously injureds to hospitals. Less than a 1/8 of a mile from explosion is a nursing home and an apartment complex with lots of casualties. Both were severely damaged. Most of the top floor of the 50 unit apartment complex was destroyed. 50-70 homes severely damaged and some totally destroyed. Looks like a war zone. Talked to a friend who has spoken to a person that works for West Fertilizer and thinks the initial explosion was a propane tank but there are at least 2 anhydrous tanks nearby and there is some anhydrous leakage. Friends mom was in nursing home and only minor injuries. Probably half the town has been evacuated.

No confirmed deaths yet but 4-5 volunteer firefighters that were at the scene when the explosion occurred are unaccounted for and feared lost. Probably will be be several more found tomorrow when the rubble is searched.

This community really needs our prayers.

FWIW this is not an anhydrous mfg plant, just a retail fertilizer business that handles dry, liquid and anhydrous. The videos I saw show an explosion that looks like other videos I've seen of propane tank explosions.

Oh, man, you have the prayers! So sad . . .

Let's see if I can get this to work. Maybe Texas Papaw can tell us what the different buildings were or CB tell us what was in the tanks and buildings??
before:
before1tq.jpg

before2pn.jpg

after:
afterxg.jpg

after2c.jpg

Large round vessel look's like an ammonia storage tank with a collapsed dome roof, from the photo.
The smaller tank completely beveled no telling what was in it without having an MSDS list of stored material's.
My question is how did they get away with it that close to a residental area.
By law they are supposed to do worst case blast assetment of hazardous material stored on site.

GB do you have any before pic's as propane, butane or pentane would be stored in a spherical tank looking like a ball.
Ammonia tank's typically are rounded insulated domed tank's.
Heavier hydrocarbon's would be stored in flat or floating roof tank's.

I read where they are now saying that they had 270 tons of ammonium nitrate stored there. That will sure make a bang. And is much more likely to go bang than the other forms of nitrogen fertilizer. It looks to me like the center of the explosion is where the building on the left in the second picture use to be.

No--got that from Google Earth, but from the looks of the house types and lack of older trees when I zoomed way in, and the fact that the plant is across the railroad track spur, I surmise that the plant was built prior to recent residential development moving out in that direction. Older part of town is to the bottom of this pic:
before3p.jpg

Latest posts