Explain hydraulic gallons per minute to me...

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
I was just looking at the specs on some similar tractors, around 115 HP....

Under the hydraulics specs, I found:

Deere 6115D = 17.6 GPM
Deere 6115M = 21.0 GPM

Kubota M110G = 18.1 GPM
Kubota M110GX= 18.7 GPM

The models of each of those tractors appear to have the same engine, so the hydraulics appears to be among the major components differentiating the models. Since the price gap is pretty large ($25,000 or so for the Deere) between models, I was trying to understand why a guy might pay up for the better hydraulics.

Exactly what type of applications does the higher capacity hydraulics benefit? When would you "for sure" want the higher capacity and when would it not really make a difference. For instance, I would not think it would matter much in the hay field. Does it matter more doing other chores?

I appreciate your insight....

Hydraulic horsepower is detemined in part buy the flow. The formula is horsepower = GPM x PSI/1714. The more flow you have the stronger and faster the hydraulics with the same hydraulic pressure. Higher GPM pumps are more efficient and the fluid usually stays cooler also. There is probably more differences in the hydraulic systems of the tractors you are looking at than just the size of the pumps. Different valves, bigger orifices, larger cylinders and filters make hydraulic systems more efficient also.

Some typesof equipment require different rates of flow. My tree shear had fairly high requiremtn but my hydarulic bale unroller requires much less. Other then balers that is the only equipment that I have that has a specific requirement. To raise and lower things like the drill or bale spikes doesn;t require as much

There's more than hyd gpm difference in the deere models. Don't know what it all is because I haven't looked at any of those. For what it's worth I'm running tractors with 60 gpm and need all of it sometimes.

Latest posts