Experience with Rat-tail

Help Support CattleToday:

Black bull calf weighed 675 and brought $1.90 and $1282.50.
Black bull calf weighed 545(from a first calver) and brought $1.95 and $1062.75.
Ratttail(listed as grey bull) weighed 625 and brought $1.85 and $1156.25.
I am happy with this result :D

Bet if that rattail had come in under 600# he'd brought the 1.95 also. Glad it worked out to suit you.

fitz

Good to see you got paid for calves. things seem to be working out better for a change compared to a few years ago. bank the check, sleep soundly, and move on. just hope these markets can hold on for awhile.

I have a heifer calf with a really tightly rolled tail. Been that way ever since we had her (about a month, came with the cow). There's hair there, it's just rolled not a normal switch like the others. Is this a rat tail or just a unique thing? Maybe something she'll grow out of?

Bestoutwest":3h55s07u said:
I have a heifer calf with a really tightly rolled tail. Been that way ever since we had her (about a month, came with the cow). There's hair there, it's just rolled not a normal switch like the others. Is this a rat tail or just a unique thing? Maybe something she'll grow out of?
Do you have a picture of the calf? I'm no expert by any means, but like bird dog said, the average case of rat-tail is weird curly hair and pretty much no switch at all. There are different levels of the defect, but again it is possible for a calf to just have a deformed tail because of other reasons. Usually rat-tail is caused by the diluter gene in breeds like older style simmental, charolais crosses and some holstein crosses. If you knew the breeding of the calf it would give a few clues.

Bestoutwest":3ccqy1sp said:
She's a longhorn if that helps. I know she's not inbred either.
I don't think longhorns have a diluter gene, at least I am not awared of. Sounds like that calf has a deformed tail. Hopefully its not defect, otherwise she would used as a terminal animal only if you are planning to breed her. Perhaps post a pic will be more easier.

Taurus":3fb8mgq5 said:
Bestoutwest":3fb8mgq5 said:
She's a longhorn if that helps. I know she's not inbred either.
I don't think longhorns have a diluter gene, at least I am not awared of. Sounds like that calf has a deformed tail. Hopefully its not defect, otherwise she would used as a terminal animal only if you are planning to breed her. Perhaps post a pic will be more easier.
I believe this is correct! :) It would help quite a bit if you could post a picture. I did a quick search on longhorns lacking tail switch, and have found this article. http://doublehelixranch.com/defects.html (really long, I only skimmed) But I think this is mainly on inbreeding, and you said she is not inbred, so that is ruled out.
This paragraph looks the most interesting.
At this point, the genetic basis of reduced-switch syndrome has not been definitively determined. It appears to be the result of a recessive allele (unlike rat-tail syndrome), and even homozygous animals may show variable degrees of expression. It does not appear to affect white hair, so white-haired animals may be homozygous for the allele and not show any signs of reduced switch or hair length (also true for the rat-tail syndrome). To date, reduced-switch syndrome has been observed mostly in herds in areas with cold winters, and so it may be expressed more strongly or simply be more obvious in areas with cold weather. In addition, limited pedigree analysis suggests that the trait appears in herds that trace back multiple times to a particular and popular Texas Longhorn bull that has been used widely for artificial insemination. (Or, possibly, to two such bulls that are themselves related). Therefore, the frequency of this trait appears to be related to inbreeding (and in particular, to linebreeding these popular bulls), although the trait may also appear in herds that have no significant inbreeding history.

Thanks for posting that paragraph. She was born in May, so cold weather isn't a problem. Must be that she's just unique. Anyway, here's a photo.
image_zpsa7496b5d.jpg

Bestoutwest":mi9rfysr said:
Thanks for posting that paragraph. She was born in May, so cold weather isn't a problem. Must be that she's just unique. Anyway, here's a photo.
image_zpsa7496b5d.jpg
She ain't rattail. Looks like her tail was stepped on.

Sold this years rat tail couple weeks ago, brought less then the others... only a couple cents.. During these high prices.. a smoke screen right now..but they'll kick your ass in the down times....

Ignoring the emaciated condition of my three-year-old second-calved heifer, she produced a real surprise for me this time round. She, her mother and grandmother have all had Hypotrichosis. It would now appear that they very probably also carry the regular color dilution gene as well, although I've never seen it in their family before. I've expected and always got either a straight black-haired calf or a charcoal fuzzy one (always black Angus sires). This gorgeous silver calf is 15/16 Angus.

Img_3983HypGrey.jpg

What's the significance of that name? I'm half a world away from you.
It's a heifer, fortunately, so I'll keep her as long as she's not a disaster in any way. She shouldn't be, from a productive family.

Latest posts