My experience with Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

I think as far as breeds being where they should be size wise is close, but some have gone too far and are too short. Herefords, polled in particular are too focused on the show ring, and have a lot of what some folks call toads, and what would be called shorts around here. Some Angus are headed that way too.

I believe that the push for more marbling has more to do with marketing than anything else.
The bar has to continue to change to keep some breeders ahead of pack.
I say that because if they keep pursuing more marbling they will turn the phenotype into dairy or wagyu types and that won't be as efficient in carcass yield or especially cost per pound of gain that they have traditionally excelled in.
Back east short cattle can live well on acres covered in lush grass... and out west where a cow has to cover ground to find enough to eat they need some legs. This means we have two competing types and buyers/producers are always inclined to go one way or the other due to current popularity rather than actual, functional profits from boxed beef.
This is why the CBA program, regardless of actual quality in cattle, has been a financially brilliant and genetically destructive marketing campaign.
The same thing is going on with muscle/marbling and demand will fluctuate over time just as anything else does.
Producers are left chasing whatever trend is most popular. Some will excel because they can anticipate where the market is going... and some will be trying to catch up as the market is changing to something else, always playing catch-up.
Would we all benefit by finding a market for what we presently produce and them staying consistent in what they want, marketing what they get rather than following trends which demand constant change? I tend to think so...
But it isn't realistic to expect that.

Back east short cattle can live well on acres covered in lush grass... and out west where a cow has to cover ground to find enough to eat they need some legs. This means we have two competing types and buyers/producers are always inclined to go one way or the other due to current popularity rather than actual, functional profits from boxed beef.
The same thing is going on with muscle/marbling and demand will fluctuate over time just as anything else does.
Producers are left chasing whatever trend is most popular. Some will excel because they can anticipate where the market is going... and some will be trying to catch up as the market is changing to something else, always playing catch-up.
Would we all benefit by finding a market for what we presently produce and them staying consistent in what they want, marketing what they get rather than following trends which demand constant change? I tend to think so...
But it isn't realistic to expect that.
That is where it would be much better if we could market direct to customers, or at least had smaller more regional packing companies and feeders. Instead of having to rely on the current system of buyers in all areas shipping calves in some case clear across the country to fed out, then having the meat shipped back to all areas. The current system is only working well for the few big packers.
Sure not the producers, feeders, and consumers.

Obviously, I also have a small feedlot market - but I'm fortunate to have a local small feeder that wants what I've got. My cattle are too big for cattle out west/south, but are perfect for MY ENVIRONMENT. No matter what breed you have, you need to be able to have cows that survive easily on grass in summer and hay in the winter (if needed). No grain supplement. This means your cows need to be the "right size" for your feed supply - and your buyers.
I have not seen the Herefords getting too small around here (mostly see show cattle), but I sure have seen the Angus losing their muscling.
Over the past ? 10 years ?, (however long the Polled & Horned Hereford associations joined force), I have seen a MAJOR improvement in the Hereford breed. But, probably 99% of the Herefords out here were Polled. Introducing the horned genetics has had a major improvement on the breed. I always thought Angus were the 2nd best popular breed, but (for now) the Herefords are making the Angus look like wimps. (definitely a lot of exceptions, like our 3 members). These statements are very BROAD. We also have some major good Angus breeders in this state.

That is where it would be much better if we could market direct to customers, or at least had smaller more regional packing companies and feeders. Instead of having to rely on the current system of buyers in all areas shipping calves in some case clear across the country to fed out, then having the meat shipped back to all areas. The current system is only working well for the few big packers.
Sure not the producers, feeders, and consumers.
That's an interesting comment. Every local processing operation I know of here is backed up with a waiting list... and yet there are closed plants around and no one is opening them up. AND there seems to be a growing demand for custom finishing, grass fed, and buying direct from the farm.
It irks me no end the way the big packers have been bought out by foreign entities.

Obviously, I also have a small feedlot market - but I'm fortunate to have a local small feeder that wants what I've got. My cattle are too big for cattle out west/south, but are perfect for MY ENVIRONMENT. No matter what breed you have, you need to be able to have cows that survive easily on grass in summer and hay in the winter (if needed). No grain supplement. This means your cows need to be the "right size" for your feed supply - and your buyers.
I have not seen the Herefords getting too small around here (mostly see show cattle), but I sure have seen the Angus losing their muscling.
Over the past ? 10 years ?, (however long the Polled & Horned Hereford associations joined force), I have seen a MAJOR improvement in the Hereford breed. But, probably 99% of the Herefords out here were Polled. Introducing the horned genetics has had a major improvement on the breed. I always thought Angus were the 2nd best popular breed, but (for now) the Herefords are making the Angus look like wimps. (definitely a lot of exceptions, like our 3 members). These statements are very BROAD. We also have some major good Angus breeders in this state.
Jeanne I agree with a lot of what you stated but in this area the Hereford show cattle especially polled are too short. And the commercial breeders don't like them. Some of the horned style are too short and many Angus are. It is hard for me too find a good Polled Hereford or Angus sire at least a 6.0 frame or above. Currently I've got 2 polled cows that have a high % of horned genetics I'm AIing trying too raise the type of polled cattle I desire.
I agree about the muscling in the Angus. My good Horned Hereford bull had more natural muscling than any Angus I've used.