Experience questions

Help Support CattleToday:

kim

Reaction score
Hello all. So I'm pretty green when it comes to alot of things 'cattle'. The only experience I've had is a few personal show calves and helpin out with feeding and light maintainence at a friends hobby farm. I'm interested however in gaining more experience and knowledge. My question is, what kind of experience do I need to break into the cattle industry. There are a few dairies in my area that I'd like to look into for employment/experience but I'm unsure if I have even the basic experience that is required. What kind of tasks do entry level employees do? What is expected of a entry level employee to already know? I'd like to eventually become a Livestock Embryologist and A.I.er and I think any experience with cattle would help me in my educational pursuit. Is the experience worth this kind of work or should I look for experience elsewhere? How do dairymen go about hiring people? Do they primarily hire people they already know? Just a few questions. Thanks for reading ;-) Happy Ranching

There are no 'set' standards of experience or qualifications, it depends on the individual owner/manager, Most operations require a reasonable standard of competence,but there is always someone prpared to mentor an enthusiastic beginner,advetise locally and see what response you get,
Best of luck to you-Andy.

In most cases around here, being a new employee, you would start at the bottom,(literally). Cleaning barns and stalls. Help with the feeding, etc. Most diary farmers in my area, don't like to have strangers in the milk parlor, as it sometimes tends to distract the cows from their job.
I commend you for trying. Few young people these days want to put the effort out. Good luck.

You have the right attitude when you realize that you don't already know it all. That is a rare quality in young people today. I predict that you will be successful at whatever you undertake. I just took an AI course at age 60 after 40 years in the cattle business. I learned a lot and it has been very benefical in the last 2 years.

Good Luck

You are very fortunate to live in this age of internet communication as there are some very valuable lessons to be learned right here. I really believe lives have been saved by some of the posts made on this board.

Sales barns are good places to meet folks in the business. Lots of vets have picked up assistants at sales barns and there is much to do and much to learn. They can always use some good help. The vets there are in the cattle business large scale. You might try that route.

All of the above posts have good info.

Good luck with your decisions!

Bovines are bovines. But, IMO, Dairy cattle and Beef Cattle are like apples and oranges. Significantly different issues, amount of labor involved, different types of "smells" to deal with, etc.

That said, if you drink milk, then possibly either type you could handle. If you don't like milk, then beef is way to go (and probably lot less labor intensive).

Good luck to you....it sounds like you have a good attitude towards cattle. A strong work ethic and a reasonably sharp mind is necessary to succeed in most any business but the ability to laugh when you get a load of manure squirted on you along with at times a strong stomach goes a long way in dealing with cows. Our son will handle any chore on the farm but won't watch a slaughter...allright afterwards with the carcass, go figure, just doesn't like to undress cattle.
I'd bet that if you ran a ad advertising your desires, stating what you did in your post and stress that you ar not afraid of real hard work...you will probably get a call or two. The county agent could help you out too.
Best wisher....DMc

Find someone who is not only knowledgable about cattle but has a heart toward mentoring. It takes a special person to invest time in the development of others. Just because someone is good at ranching doesn't make them good at mentoring.

I hope you hook up with the right person !

Thanks for the advice everyone. I plan on makin a trip around the dairy part of town and ask a few employment questions. Keep your fingers crossed for me ;-)
Happy Ranching

Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of
experience results from poor judgment. :p

OK Jeanne":37abamav said:
Good judgment comes from experience; and a lot of
experience results from poor judgment. :p

Man, isn't that the truth - they are also the lessons that rarely, if ever, need to be refreshed! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dairies generally prefer people with experience, but will train also. Be aware that with no experience you'll start out on a very, very low pay scale, with no benefits. Depends on the dairy you work for as far as gaining experience. Some dairies seem set on keeping their employees ignorant and locked in the parlor. :p But on the same token there are herd managers who are willing to spend the time with an inquisitive employee and teach them the ropes with dairy cattle. I've been in this industry pretty well my entire life, and have so much to learn. I'm fortunate enough to have spent some time following the herd manager around over the last couple of years and picked up a lot about running a big dairy.

You asked about what you do...the basic milker puts units on cattle and retrieves pens for milking. Most parlors have automatic takeoffs, but they aren't foolproof.

As far as hiring people they know, it's definitely the case with where I work. However I know of dairies locally that recruit new hires through the help wanted ads.

Thanks for the info, Born2run, and everyone else. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get into the loop. I guess I better start hanging around the sales barn, or maybe start knockin on doors and asking for work. I had a job at the local feed store but it wasn't workin out too well, so any contacts I could of gained through there I feel I have wasted. Best bet would probably stay in the ag program at the college and meet and greet everyone and anyone, they work with a few dairies so it might work out, might get me some contacts.
Pretty soon I'll be out of my parents house, I'm moving onto a recently retired family friend's land to watch his horses and keep an eye on his personal assets while he goes on long luxurious vacations, in return he's letting me use a half acre of land for whatever I want. Maybe I'll throw some goats on it. Or raise a couple heifers to sell at the next show/auction. I guess everything will fall into place with time. Thanks again for everyones advice.

kim...Don't let the experience factor deter you from applying for a milking job, if that's what you want. Just seen a job on WI JobNet that says, "experience preferred but will train." Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the job. I've been at this for a very long time. ;-)

Latest posts