Expanding ? What are your plans ?

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Man how to play your cards ? Would love to expand to cost average the cost of such thing as . Building a sturdy, work friendly corral , stock trailer,and buy a bull. One of the biggest hurdle for myself is the lack of pasture to increase the operation. Would need to rent pasture. I could maybe dry lot the cows and calve on what pasture I have . Could someone please direct me on this idea . Not sure I'm big on the idea of confinement . Wife and I really enjoy being around the cows. We have seven cow and like the small group we have. Just hard to spread the extras over this few of cows. Just need some warm dry weather. Hope I didn't boo ho to much . Thanks guy and gals

if you drylot your cows an calves,they will eat you out of house an home.an you sure wont make anything.the best thing is to stay small an graze your cattle on land that you have.

your plan has a lot of money going out , without a lot of money coming in. have you figured the cost of dry lotting a cow and calf for a year?

To get smaller and hope to keep more of the cash flow. Aww he77......would rather get out all together and move somewhere else. :nod:

Make the best of what you already have.
Start with pasture improvement. Then move into rotational grazing. You then can move up to intensive grazing.
Once you learn how to properly manage what you have then consider more property.

bigbull338":2zpnglg3 said:
if you drylot your cows an calves,they will eat you out of house an home.an you sure wont make anything.the best thing is to stay small an graze your cattle on land that you have.

:nod:

Instead of increasing cash flow by increasing the number of units have you considered attempts to increase profitability? With only space for 7 cows you could really hone in on some dandies and maybe move to club calves or specialized seedstock or something.

rjbovine":j9vultng said:
Man how to play your cards ? Would love to expand to cost average the cost of such thing as . Building a sturdy, work friendly corral , stock trailer,and buy a bull. One of the biggest hurdle for myself is the lack of pasture to increase the operation. Would need to rent pasture. I could maybe dry lot the cows and calve on what pasture I have . Could someone please direct me on this idea . Not sure I'm big on the idea of confinement . Wife and I really enjoy being around the cows. We have seven cow and like the small group we have. Just hard to spread the extras over this few of cows. Just need some warm dry weather. Hope I didn't boo ho to much . Thanks guy and gals

I have been on a year to year lease for many years. Have wanted to take it long term from the get go but the owner won't go it. I am about to build a stock tank on it now. Wish I would have built it 6 years back.

I could lose that lease after this year. I could have it another 10 to 20 years. I hate this situation but it pencils out. It pencils out really nice.

Perfect year for me to consider expanding the herd. I have had 12 heifers of 1 bull out of my cows to date with 16 more to go. Those heifers would make at least 6 good replacements. Problem is grass in July and August is not so much. I have decided to keep some back and see what happens as the year progresses and I can always load them up later for a trip to town or sell them private treaty to a neighbor.

novatech":2vwro7vc said:
Make the best of what you already have.
Start with pasture improvement. Then move into rotational grazing. You then can move up to intensive grazing.
Once you learn how to properly manage what you have then consider more property.

That's what I'm doing. Pasture first, everything else second.

Latest posts