Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting!

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
Wow! I have a few (10) Dexter cows/calves/steers out on pasture and they look great! Shiny, fat and sassy! I recently traded a Q-horse mare for 2 steers. They are inside getting grain so I bought beef mineral from the co-op for them as well...

As my usual routine, I went outside the barn and called the cows...I usually divide a pail of grain amongst them so they will always come up when called. This is a fairly simple routine with minor scuffles w the bull and steers...all and all fairly peaceful...they eat, bellow a bit then leave...

Today, I had beef mineral in the feed.....they started going crazy.....so i went and got two cans of straight mineral and tried to divy it up and almost got trampled in the melee that ensued!! They were fighting over every bit of it! horning each other and tryiing to knock me down! It was crazy What was that all about? Is the stuff that good? I tasted it and it tasted like B12 and salt! YUCK! they have a mineral lick and a tub that has been there since spring!

If they want it that bad, I'd think about giving them some more mineral. Careful not to overdose them with it.

maybe I already did overdose them? The bag says free choice....think i will get rid of the tub and use this instead....

Sounds like a good move. Not getting enough from the block and not using the tub, might dump them some loose stock salt while you are at it.

Accidently let our cows run out of mineral once. Had the cows and calves fighting over who got the first lick after I put it out.
They were missing something and it was just like candy to them, so they will fight over it until everybody has had some.
Now remember it is for the cattle, not you so it doesn't taste all that good to us. :D ;-)
I would feed it free choice, now be aware that they might go through quite a bit before they have enough.

Onthebit":2sh6kslv said:
Wow! I have a few (10) Dexter cows/calves/steers out on pasture and they look great! Shiny, fat and sassy! I recently traded a Q-horse mare for 2 steers. They are inside getting grain so I bought beef mineral from the co-op for them as well...

As my usual routine, I went outside the barn and called the cows...I usually divide a pail of grain amongst them so they will always come up when called. This is a fairly simple routine with minor scuffles w the bull and steers...all and all fairly peaceful...they eat, bellow a bit then leave...

Today, I had beef mineral in the feed.....they started going crazy.....so i went and got two cans of straight mineral and tried to divy it up and almost got trampled in the melee that ensued!! They were fighting over every bit of it! horning each other and tryiing to knock me down! It was crazy What was that all about? Is the stuff that good? I tasted it and it tasted like B12 and salt! YUCK! they have a mineral lick and a tub that has been there since spring!
time of year forage quailty decline' here summer slump they wear the minerals out

Seems the craze for the minerals has subsided...They are back to being peaceful again...lol
Can I put the lick out for the horses?

Mine are smart!

My Bull and a steer also took a tour through town last weekend...the townspeople called the 'running of the bulls!'.and a steer went to visit the swing set at the neighbours yesterday morning! and yesterday aft. I had a visit from a police officer! But he wasn't here as an officer, just wanted to know if I knew my animals were wondering....I said im on the case! but I still don't know where they are getting out...... :cry2:

3 strand high tensile electric....3 sides the other is just a crappy fence with one electric wire...i think they get to fighting and get pushed through the fence....and i also think they get pissed when i put the horses in the small pasture by the barn and lock them out...has only happenned when i did that so will quit that and run 2 more wires along the crap fence...

Buy loose minerals that are labeled for horse use. Horses' tongues are not rough like a cow's and a horse will wear it's tongue out trying to get the minerals it needs from a block.

Read the label on your cattle tub and see if it can be fed to horses. If it says ruminates only, don't let your horse eat it.

You were lucky when your stock got out. If someone should hit one, you would be liable.