Dental judges, how old was this cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I was cleaning up this skull today and wondering how old this cow actually was when we butchered her. According to my buddies Grandpa whom I bought the cow from she should have been 10 or 11 at the time she was butchered a couple years ago, but he bought the cow from someone else so it was a guess on his part. I thought she seemed younger than that and looking at her teeth got me wondering. What do y'all think. I understand it might be harder to judge from a skull than a live cow. Thanks.

The fronts are all I've ever looked at. Even at that, I doubt I'm very accurate. I've seen the same cow be aged by different vets 6 months apart, and be 5 years different in what they call it.

I do remember thinking her fronts looked pretty long to me. I actually remember taking a picture I was going to post on here but never did. I will look for it. It just seems to me like the rear teeth would be the tell-tale since they do all the grinding, but I guess they're a lot harder to inspect on a live cow.

I found the picture of her fronts. Gotta love computers. The date stamp on the picture is wrong, it was not 2007.

KNERSIE":23ci13mt said:
Grazing conditions play a huge role, in our conditions that cow would be 6 or 7
I agree, after 5-6 year old it is almost all about the grazing. In Sky's area the sand wears them down fast. Short gras makes a lot of difference. I have not been doing it long enough to prove it but I think that rotational grazing should make the teeth last longer.

Latest posts