Cow was coughing and losing weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Carlk

Reaction score
Our cow has had a cough off and on for over a month. She started to lose some weight. We de wormed her and have gave her 2 doses of penicillin. She has been eating and drink normal her poop and pee look normal doesnt smell weird. Has been walking fine. She is staring to look better but still has her cough. Does anyone know if there is something else we should give her or if she can have more penicillin I know the bottle says limit to two doses. And the vets we have around where we live all do small animal so aren't much help.

need more details!!!! more symptoms ??
could it be possible if only a cough she may have swallowed somthing string ,plastic,ect???
is she off feed or trying to eat or wobbely ?? acting diffrent discharge ???
need more info!

mooo":2f6y8spa said:
need more details!!!! more symptoms ??
could it be possible if only a cough she may have swallowed somthing string ,plastic,ect???
is she off feed or trying to eat or wobbely ?? acting diffrent discharge ???
need more info!

No she walks fine and has been eating and drinking normally. Doesn't have any kind of discharge. Her poop and pee look normal. She just has the cough it was really bad before we de wormed her and gave her the two doses of penicillin but now it sounds like it almost gone.

Agree, need more info. Have you taken her temp? Snotty nose, drooling, discharge around the eyes? I would suspect pneumonia this time of year and penicillin won't do anything for that. Draxxin is my preferred antibiotic for BRD but I've also used Resflor Gold with good results. That said, they both require a RX from a vet. LA300 does not require a RX but if she's had symptoms for over a month you probably won't see much improvement.

Latest posts