Ever hear of something like this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":3imy27fg said:
So a cow pinches a nerve and ya throw the meat away.... ya'll must have a job in town.
Because salvaging injured animals has been a common practice for as long as agriculture has existed.
Heck there was a question on here last year about butchering or not when you find one dead. (which is crazy)

Ever heard of Mad Cow DIsease?

Son of Butch":3oar7f0v said:
Wow... in home grown 2 year old heifers... grow up.

Were they tested?

Is it common where you live to pick up an order of road kill where you live too?

I've been damn broke in my time but never so broke as to think about eating a downer. Ever!

Yes, I'm sure your very special.
4 reported cases in the World since 2012.... think I'll take my chances with home raised cattle and not worry about
the Chicken Little's of the world where the sky is falling daily.

Our next door neighbor had a cow break her leg (she was a young cow). She was down for about 4 hours by the time they got a butcher there, but I saw her try to drag herself around the pen (rear femur broke). They had a custom butcher come out and kill her and process her, worst meat I ever smelt cooking, and they threw the entire amount away.

True Grit Farms":4uvcp7gt said:
greybeard":4uvcp7gt said:
Uh..well... define "hit' please..

Well the ones I've personally hit just messed up my truck and trotted on down the road. But I saw my buddy hit one and we cooked the whole thing up at the rig that day except the road rash hind quarter.

Fire Sweep Ranch":20z248ua said:
Our next door neighbor had a cow break her leg (she was a young cow). She was down for about 4 hours by the time they got a butcher there, but I saw her try to drag herself around the pen (rear femur broke). They had a custom butcher come out and kill her and process her, worst meat I ever smelt cooking, and they threw the entire amount away.
Musta been from stress,hormone release,,no longer than she was down...but coulda been just the grass fed..

Fire Sweep Ranch":e336wcbd said:
I had one prolapse that we butchered, turned out the same way, terrible taste and smell.

True Grit Farms":fm7b9r8j said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":fm7b9r8j said:
I had one prolapse that we butchered, turned out the same way, terrible taste and smell.

Might have been fine for someone else. I know your partial to grain beef. Call me next time. I can give you a bipartisan beef review

ALACOWMAN":2o4dw746 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2o4dw746 said:
Musta been from stress,hormone release,,no longer than she was down...but coulda been just the grass fed..

Probly the Angus.... :hide:

Silver":3cpp6ni1 said:
ALACOWMAN":3cpp6ni1 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":3cpp6ni1 said:

Probly the Angus.... :hide:
no doubt.. Most are black from what I've been told..and don't get me started on the dumb head buyers that can't tell what breed they are..that black hide must cover up everything...... :cowboy:

I did butcher a fat 600 lb heifer once that broke her leg in a bale feeder. My coyote gun was handy in the tractor and she wasn't 3 minutes before she was hanging. She was good.

Grain fed too.