Ever Been Stung By.....

Help Support CattleToday:

We have wasps nesting in the ends of any pipe left open. Some of the horse panels, gates, and squeeze. Gotta check the trailers every time you use one.
The ground wasps were brutal on the dogs up in Oregon. To this day my 100 lb. Lab runs and hides if he hears a buzzing noise. Poor guy is traumatized.

I did not know that hornets are carnivores, and did not know that they ate carrion. We had a badger that got run over by a swather (god bless it! I HATE badgers) and I had to remove it. I go out there and this thing is buzzing so bad that it sounds like an airplane. So I go back in and bundle up in gloves, welding jacket and a bandana/hat thing to cover my head. I know I looked stupid, but I didn't care. This thing had been sitting in the sun for at least a day with 100 degree heat and it STUNK! So I'm running this thing across the field and I look back and there's this cloud of flying things following along, riding the intestines that were dragging on the ground. I throw this thing and at least 5 feet of intestines go flying by my face so close that I could almost taste them, followed by a whole bunch of hornets. I didn't get stung, but I almost ate a couple by accident.

Another time I got stuck by one right above my eye. I was eating an ice cream cone. I stomped and swore and swore and stomped, but I did not lose a single drop of ice cream.

Bestoutwest":3cgm29i6 said:
I did not know that hornets are carnivores, and did not know that they ate carrion. We had a badger that got run over by a swather (god bless it! I HATE badgers) and I had to remove it. I go out there and this thing is buzzing so bad that it sounds like an airplane. So I go back in and bundle up in gloves, welding jacket and a bandana/hat thing to cover my head. I know I looked stupid, but I didn't care. This thing had been sitting in the sun for at least a day with 100 degree heat and it STUNK! So I'm running this thing across the field and I look back and there's this cloud of flying things following along, riding the intestines that were dragging on the ground. I throw this thing and at least 5 feet of intestines go flying by my face so close that I could almost taste them, followed by a whole bunch of hornets. I didn't get stung, but I almost ate a couple by accident.

Another time I got stuck by one right above my eye. I was eating an ice cream cone. I stomped and swore and swore and stomped, but I did not lose a single drop of ice cream.
While skinning deer it's not uncommon to have to fight them off the carcass. They cna take a good sized hunk of meat at one time.

dun":2w90xx1d said:
While skinning deer it's not uncommon to have to fight them off the carcass. They cna take a good sized hunk of meat at one time.

I was amazed at how awful they were. I can't imagine trying to skin a deer and fight them off. That's got to be a hoot!

Bestoutwest":2xywwsib said:
dun":2xywwsib said:

I was amazed at how awful they were. I can't imagine trying to skin a deer and fight them off. That's got to be a hoot!
More like a curse and a screech!

I had no idea a dirt dauber could sting. I was under the impression they couldn't. I guess I'll be more careful from now on.

Wasp get in tobacco barns bad. One of my less glorious jobs when I still raised tobacco was climbing up in them at night, and spraying the nest with starter fluid. Ahhhhhh good times.

I got red and guinea wasp and yellow jackets. I love wasp spay I buy that stuff in bulk. Love those streams I can stand a way back and spray till every last one is dead. When I was working cows I found red wasp made a nest in a gate that was a big nest I kept spaying and they kept pouring out used up most of a can but enjoyed every second of it. One of my favorite spring chores is walk around looking for nest to spray. A few year ago I missed one and got stung right between my shoulders that hurt. Once my wife put some med on it I got my wasp spray and got revenge. Never knew a dauber could sting. I hate wasp, ants, daubers, mosquito, nats, fly,and grasshoppers. I don't have very many scorpions. When I was a kid we had a bunch of scorpions use to catch them and cut the stingers off and play with them, we also use to keep them in a jar as pets.

Mowing grass hay with an old Farmall H and sickle mower yesterday. We have a lot of rocks on our land but our hayfields are pretty good. Just find an occasional one to pick up and toss off the field. So I'm mowing along, and I plug up the sickle, pull out of the strip I'm working on off to the side so I can clear the sickle. As I am getting off the tractor, I notice a nice large rock about the size of a big grapefruit laying in the middle of the swath from the previous round right next to the tractor. I clear the sickle, walk around the tractor and bend over to grab the rock. About 6 inches before my hand makes contact, I am looking at it and stop... and REALLY look at it. It's a dang wasp nest and I had mowed it down on my previous pass!! :oops: WHOA!!! There's a couple wasps now crawling on it and I pull my hand back and hotfoot it back onto the tractor and AWAY I go!! Can't figure out why I didn't get stung but I am SO thankful!! We went out and took care of it the next morning before I raked that field! looked just like a big ol' gray rock!! :dunce:

Took the kids to a family thing on the Gulf this past week and became reacquainted with those dang fire ants! Was waiting to hose the sand off of me, not seeing them. I might not of done much but running the hose down there mound about a foot and a half at least made the sting feel a little bit better.

Before we left, I was in the yard and a cicada landed on my leg. I flicked it off, and the next thing I know a hornet has it and is dragging it across the yard. I let it go thinking I'd follow it and watch and find out where its burro was. That hornet carried the cicada about twice its size across the yard and up a tree so high I couldn't see it any longer. Pretty impressive feat. Guess I'll just have to cut the tree down.

Neighbor woman is sort of a wacko about stings. She takes a knife and scrapes down into the spot , claims it's to make sure the stinger is out. She has inflammed semi infected nasty looking spots on her back, leg, hand and arm. For all the good it does, there are pretty swelled looking spots. Don;t know if it's from the original sting/bite or her "treatment" of them

This is the kind of yellow jackets that live around here. Like Jogee said, more terrifying than rattlesnakes. I tied my boat to a stump in the river one time and found out real quick yellow jackets had a hive in it. By the time I got the boat untied and the motor cranked and was 200 yards down the river and they gave up the chase I had at least 30 stings.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/csgOXuyxf9o[/youtube]

dun":mdnerd95 said:
Neighbor woman is sort of a wacko about stings. She takes a knife and scrapes down into the spot , claims it's to make sure the stinger is out. She has inflammed semi infected nasty looking spots on her back, leg, hand and arm. For all the good it does, there are pretty swelled looking spots. Don;t know if it's from the original sting/bite or her "treatment" of them

I'm pretty sure that's from her treatment. Wasps don't leave a stinger behind. Honey bees will, but you can scrape the edge of your fingernail across it to remove it. (You can also grab it and pull it out, but I don't recommend doing it that way, since that will squeeze whatever venom was left in the venom sack into the wound.)

Good video. That's where a cab tractor is nice. Put the brush hog on top of it and let 'er spin.

I pulled an old cross tie Thursday. Put pipe in. The old cross tie looked okay but it was hollow. You couldn't tell by looking. That thing was full of red wasps. They got sprayed. Cross tie is in the burn pile. If it ever rains again I will like off that pile of brush.

dun":302095hs said:

Not a bee sting but I did something more radical.

A brown recluse bit the back of my thumb. I immediately clipped the bite spot out with a pair of finger nail clippers. Probably a quarter inch deep and it hurt. Filled that hole with peroxide. Then went to the ER. Took the dead spider with me for identification. There was very little damage from the bite. If you look at recluse bites on the internet, mine was nothing in comparison. I would do the same thing again for a recluse bite.

For a wasp, hornet, bee or scorpion sting, as said, I simply put ammonia on it immediately.

Bestoutwest":2oxovxb6 said:
dun":2oxovxb6 said:

Then you get good and hot and reach for you beer....turn it up and WHAM...there's one in the can and you get a fat lip. :lol2: :lol2:

Dad-gum-it....got stung again Monday. This time on my left shoulder. Came off a nest hiding in a crepe myrtle. Didn't hurt as bad as the sting on the forehead and it didn't swell up, but I do have a red spot the size of a quarter that is ITCHING right now.

1982vett":v4hdi56m said:
Dad-gum-it....got stung again Monday. This time on my left shoulder. Came off a nest hiding in a crepe myrtle. Didn't hurt as bad as the sting on the forehead and it didn't swell up, but I do have a red spot the size of a quarter that is ITCHING right now.

always rub some baccer juice on them

Latest posts