Ever Been Stung By.....

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":1bj1w4ol said:
Call them whatever you want,if it stings or bites I hate them. Honey bee sounds so harmless, after all, the do produce delicious honey. I hate them too even though I haven;t been stung by one in probablt 60 years. I hate sweat bees just as bad. It seems like they just look for a spot to get to that they will get pinched. If pinched the sting like hezz. Ants are in the same category as far as I'm concerned.
There's a lot of variation in honey bees as well. Some of them you can tear their nest in half with no smoke and maybe get stung once on your hand on a bad day. The stuff I get out of Texas will cover your veil trying to sting your eyes out by the time you get the lid open.

We are seeing more of those africanized honey bees. My friend raises bees and he had to kill three hives last fall because they got took over by the mean ones.

cow pollinater":saragi8h said:
dun":saragi8h said:
Call them whatever you want,if it stings or bites I hate them. Honey bee sounds so harmless, after all, the do produce delicious honey. I hate them too even though I haven;t been stung by one in probablt 60 years. I hate sweat bees just as bad. It seems like they just look for a spot to get to that they will get pinched. If pinched the sting like hezz. Ants are in the same category as far as I'm concerned.
There's a lot of variation in honey bees as well. Some of them you can tear their nest in half with no smoke and maybe get stung once on your hand on a bad day. The stuff I get out of Texas will cover your veil trying to sting your eyes out by the time you get the lid open.
I believe in live and let live. As long as they are out of my reach and not someplace I'm going to have be, I let them live.

There was a time when I didn't think dirt daubers would sting until one time I caught one in my hand on the school bus to assuage the fears of the other riders and found out they do sting. Yellow jackets are the worst thing I've ever been stung by.

ga.prime":26v6x4w2 said:
There was a time when I didn't think dirt daubers would sting until one time I caught one in my hand on the school bus to assuage the fears of the other riders and found out they do sting. Yellow jackets are the worst thing I've ever been stung by.
I learned the same way about the dirt daubers.

We have dozens of different types of wasps.. but only 3 types that are 'colonial'.. the yellow jackets, paper wasps, and what we call the black hornets... the black hornets are some kinda mean if you stumble over their nest, but they aren't pesky, and they're actually surprisingly smart (we had one that got 'trained' to come when we called her (Sophie) and we had swatted a yellow jacket at the table.. she'd come and pick it up out of your hand, and go in the nearby spruce tree and begin dismantling it. I know where there's a nest in a bush, and I'll leave it be for now, it's out of the way. I have declared war on yellow jackets though

I carry an epi pen with me just in case... one sting for me and it is not a good outcome! I have not been stung since elementary school... and that was a long time ago

I was setting ups some panels for a corral on Friday. Something was poking me in the belly. About that time a bee hit me on the back of the hand. It dawned on me that was what was poking me in the belly. It appears that they made a nest inside the panel.

Years ago when I was falling timber I was falling a tree while standing on an underground nest. With the noise of the saw and all the sawdust flying around I didn't notice the nest. One stung me and I realized I had bees all over me. I dropped the saw and took off running. Bees had gone up my pant legs and with every step I was crushing them against my knees. Of course they were stinging me on the knees. PNW loggers wear real loose fitting pants held up by suspenders. So I slip off the suspenders as I do a forward somersault and kick my pants off. Up to my feet running. I realize my shirt is full of bees. I whip it off without missing a stride. I am hot footing it through the woods in my BVD's and caulk shoes. I crossed the log road a hundred feet or so in front of the loader and a log truck. Both of those guys saw me and thought I had finally slipped off the deep end. I ended up being stung about 40 times. It was not my best day. I didn't swell up too bad but I sure didn't feel good for a day or two.

Put ammonia on the sting site asap. Their venom is acidic. Amonia is an alkali. Ammonia neutralizes the venom. Pain ceases. Works on scorpion stings too.

I have ammonia in the truck, in the tractor, everywhere. It is cheap - and very effective.

Seems like yellow jackets will seek me out just to sting me. If there is a YJ nest within 200 feet of me I get stung. I was running a dozer clearing some trees and I turned up a big nest. I was getting nailed left, right and center. I turned that thing off and abandoned it for the day. After nursing 8 or 10 stings I came back that night with gasoline and got my revenge.

Years ago as a kid me and my brother thought that shooting a hornets nest from a "safe" distance seemed like a good idea. It seems that there is no safe distance. When they sting it feels very much like getting shot with a BB gun.

backhoeboogie":1pxt6pce said:
Put ammonia on the sting site asap. Their venom is acidic. Amonia is an alkali. Ammonia neutralizes the venom. Pain ceases. Works on scorpion stings too.

I have ammonia in the truck, in the tractor, everywhere. It is cheap - and very effective.
Yeee doggie.... Them scorpions ain't funny either..... Been waging war on them for several years now. They just about got out of hand. I get the house done professionally every three months. He does the inside and then puts granular stuff around the house outside. About six weeks after he treats I put another treatment on the outside. Spray the walls, the yard and the trees. Knock on wood, I haven't seen any live ones for quite a while. Crickets and spiders are driving me crazy now.

We have almost no grasshoppers this year...BUT, we do have these tiny little green ones that bite. When i go out to check on cows, they get on me and bite the heck out of me. I'll get bitten a couple dozen times per herd. Its been like this for weeks, so you'd think if they were going to grow they'd be big by now...

1982vett":29cta08l said:
backhoeboogie":29cta08l said:

Yeee doggie.... Them scorpions ain't funny either..... Been waging war on them for several years now. They just about got out of hand. I get the house done professionally every three months. He does the inside and then puts granular stuff around the house outside. About six weeks after he treats I put another treatment on the outside. Spray the walls, the yard and the trees. Knock on wood, I haven't seen any live ones for quite a while. Crickets and spiders are driving me crazy now.

I refuse to turn the hall light off at night. The new wife doesn't understand. I walk barefoot on that hardwood. Told her to leave the light on or I would take the light switch out. Stepping on a scorpion is not my idea of a good way to start a day. Don't think I have seen one in a few years but the light stays on nevertheless.

I refuse to turn the hall light off at night. The new wife doesn't understand. I walk barefoot on that hardwood. Told her to leave the light on or I would take the light switch out. Stepping on a scorpion is not my idea of a good way to start a day. Don't think I have seen one in a few years but the light stays on nevertheless.[/quote]
They can live under water too.....i had one that crawled around on the pool floor for days...

Latest posts