Evaluate These Heifers - Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

TR

Reaction score
Was just wanting your thoughts on a couple of heifers........

12/16/07 heifer
Washington10-4-08033.jpg

12/27/07 heifer
Washington10-4-08021.jpg

11/24/06 heifer - due in early Jan
Washington10-4-08015.jpg

They are nice girls.

Edited: Came back to have another closer STUDY of these pics again according to the other replies, #3 does come out on top. I shouldn't've said anything about #2, and #1 looks better thatn #2 according to capacity and heart girth. None of these girls are post legged.

Upon further review, the bottom I'd still keep, would want to see more of the top, but the middle to me is post legged, and I don't like the shape of her rear quarter at all.

I've been told recently that the enormous variation in the breed is a good thing?!

It seems that we are breeding for opposite ends of the spectrum.

Thank ya'll for the comments. Its really good to hear that my thoughts are right along the same lines as everyone else's are.

I'm a lousy photographer, and got their camera facing leg pulled forward on both the 1st and 2nd heifers thus making their hips not look as deep as they are. That being said, #2 heifer isn't as deep in the hip as heifer #1 and is more angular as well. Heifer #1 and #3 are maternal half sisters. Heifer #1 is by RH Victor 2105, and #3 is by BKR Triple Plus 73C 20L out of a Braxton GiantXFelton's cross cow. Heifer #2 is by MSU Star Headliner out of a BT Mohican Tradition 530 cow.

My initial thoughts are that Heifer #2 is much deeper and has more capacity than #1 but #1 has a better hip. I think #1 is a bit cleaner fronted than #2, but that could be just the hair! :) I also think the top line on #3 is "bumpy" and she's a bit pinched through the heartgirth. From what I've seen, this seems to be a trait that the Triple Plus bull seems to put on his females.

Again, I really appreciate your comments!

Nebraska Sandhills":2u0t2dk9 said:
I like the #3 heifer the best--but they are all pretty good.

I agree completely. I like 1 better than 2 (no muscle expression at all in the rear and down the leg); but if you can keep all 3 I would.

Thanks ya'll, really appreciate the comments. :) Totally validates my thoughts, provides a few new ones, and helps to guide future breeding goals.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but we all know how hard it is sometimes to get a true representation of the animal. For example, here is another view of Heifer #2 that if I were looking at it as the only pic, wouldn't think too badly of her hip. The fact is that the original pic of her shows a more accurate representation. She really doesn't have a strong hip.

Washington10-4-08034.jpg

Ha, Herefords.US! YOU'VE been talking to Camp, huh?! :) :lol:

Latest posts